cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another National Credit Solution/BMG Music catastrophe--need some advice ASAP!

tag
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Another National Credit Solution/BMG Music catastrophe--need some advice ASAP!

A few months back, I got a TC alert indicating a change to my Experian and sure enough it was a collection placed by NCS. Looking at the trade line it says:

Credit limit: $35

Recent Balance: $218 

Reported 01/2009

Opened: 12/2008

blah, blah, blah.

I call the number and I get a really snotty attitude from some young sounding girl violating all the rules of collections and passing me on to a supervisor who basically reiterated the same nonsense and offered no assistance. The two were completely clueless as to how to professionally resolve the matter even when I indicated the account was fraudulently obtained. The only information I pried from them was the DOFD was some time in 2003. In PA the SOL would expire in 2010. I received no 'dunning' notice or any other communication except for the TC alert. I disputed the account with Experian and as I expected, the account came back verified. Rinse, repeat. Verified as accurate again. I almost let it go because the account will remain on my EX report until 08/2010. Fine

I was on a mini app. spree and applied for a Citi Plat. Select. I expected a decent CL considering the other store cards serviced by Citi, healthy 700+ scores for TU and EQ, and strong payment history. I was offered a mere $1800 limit and a whopping 18.99% rate. Furious, I asked what bureau they pulled, lo and behold it was EX and the collection was the reason for the poor offer and terms. Now I'm pretty pi$$ed because I wasted a hard and I've got a pretty worthless card to boot

I then proceed to file a complaint with the BBB. About 10 days later I get a response from them with an enclose 'dunning' notice from NCS with itemized charges totaling $30.90. The letter is addressed to my at my current address however, they have on letter in boldface type: Last Known Billing Address Debtor (then my previous address). Is this their way of getting out of the dunning notice requirement??? I moved from the previous address 6 months earlier and had all mail forwarded and guess what? That's right kids, NO NOTICE FROM NCS!!!

Fast forward again to 3 days ago. I get yet another TC alert telling me that there has been another collection added to my EX report! I check the report and it is another NCS collection account this time in the amount of $48 with a recent balance of $174 as of 07/2009. Date opened 02/2009 and reported 07/2009. They have my current address as a result of the BBB complaint so why have I NEVER RECEIVED A DUNNING NOTICE?! 

I am absolutely livid but I have not contacted the CA. I am raging as I write this post. I really need help to get this taken care of. I read another thread about a similar instance of NCS collection fraud, but there isn't any solution as of yet. What do I do? I've worked really hard to secure my good credit but now it is threatened by the unscrupulous practices of NCS

Help please!

Message Edited by MrShush on 08-12-2009 10:51 AM
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Another National Credit Solution/BMG Music catastrophe--need some advice ASAP!

First, never call a CA. Ever!

You mentioned "fraud"-- are these debt not yours? If these accounts were fraudulently obtained, then you need to pursue this as identity theft: FTC Identity Theft

Message 2 of 5
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Re: Another National Credit Solution/BMG Music catastrophe--need some advice ASAP!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know I should never call them but I have had luck in the past by calling and having my 'mistakes' deleted. These accounts are not mine. I'm assuming either a) some one grabbed one of those mailers and filled it out or b) my name matches another and it was just 'added' to my report. Either way, I want it gone. With the FTC link, am I supposed to file an affidavit? I've done these before but nothing ever came of them. 

Message 3 of 5
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Bump.

Really, no one has anything?

Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If these aren't yours, and the items on the itemeized billing per the response from the first DV aren't familiar, then file a police report for ID theft. You can later use that police report to file a dispute via mail with each of the CRAs (but you have to have the police report). Also, place a fraud alert on all 3 CRAs.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.