Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another OC/CA Dispute/DV Question

tag
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

Another OC/CA Dispute/DV Question

Hi everyone.  I am sure by now you are sick of my stupid questions Smiley Sad 

I defaulted on a 1300 dollar debt from Capital One.  Capital One charged it off and another agency is attempting to collect it.  The company offered to settle for $400.  I am trying to forumulate a plan.

Do I:

Send a letter of DV to the collection agency?

Try to settle or try to get a pfd?  I dont have the full amount.  Should I offer a PFD anyway and see what they say then if they say yes try to get the money?  Or will that screw up the settlement amount they are offering?

Should I dispute the capital one account which is showing I am 1300 in the rears?  

I need a little direction. Thanks everyone

Starting Score April 2013: 556
Current Score March 2014: 682
Goal Score Soon (-: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Another OC/CA Dispute/DV Question

@tfkallday wrote:

Hi everyone.  I am sure by now you are sick of my stupid questions Smiley Sad 

I defaulted on a 1300 dollar debt from Capital One.  Capital One charged it off and another agency is attempting to collect it.  The company offered to settle for $400.  I am trying to forumulate a plan.

Do I:

Send a letter of DV to the collection agency?

Try to settle or try to get a pfd?  I dont have the full amount.  Should I offer a PFD anyway and see what they say then if they say yes try to get the money?  Or will that screw up the settlement amount they are offering?

Should I dispute the capital one account which is showing I am 1300 in the rears?  

I need a little direction. Thanks everyone

Since the Debt is yours and the CA offered $400 to settle I would take it. PFD will or could only happen when paying it in full. The DV would serve no purpose as you already know the debt is yours. Is Capital One showing a bal or $0 bal on their tradeline?

Message 2 of 12
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@DaBears, I thought the same thing...I heard that PFD means Pay for Delete...doesn't mean you have to pay in FULL?  I was hoping I could get a "settle" for delete.

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:

Message 3 of 12
themizlyne
Regular Contributor

PFD does not always mean PIF. It's whatever amount they are willing to accept and that they are willing to delete.
Message 4 of 12
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

Yes Capital one is still listing a balance.  It does not show $0.  It does say that it has been charged off though.  A little confused. Thanks again

Message 5 of 12
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@tfkallday wrote:

Yes Capital one is still listing a balance.  It does not show $0.  It does say that it has been charged off though.  A little confused. Thanks again

Capital One still owns the account. I would first contact and see if they are willing to recall the account from the CA. The purpose of a Charge-Off is it helps support a tax deduction for bad debts under Section 166 of the Internal Revenue Code for the OC. The charge-off, though, does not free the debtor of having to pay the debt.

Message 6 of 12
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

Ok I will try that.  When I contacted Capital One last week they told me that I have to deal with the collection agency, though.  I will still try to have the debt recalled. Thanks

Message 7 of 12
Jaxavier
New Contributor

Is the CA reporting as well as the OC, or just the OC? How old is the account?  A 30% settlement usually doesn't come around till a few years down the line. If that is the case, a PFD may be a viable option, however it won't remove the OC account. 

Message 8 of 12
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

Here is what it says on my CR

Account charged off. $1,349 written off. $1,349 past due as of Nov 2013.  It doesnt have the collection agency on the account but Cap one directed me to go through the collection agency.  A bit confused

Message 9 of 12
DaBears
Senior Contributor

The CA is not reporting yet. However making a payment (settlement to them) could get the collection listed on your credit reports. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.