Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another dilemma I need advice on

tag
wynona01
Regular Contributor

Another dilemma I need advice on

OK, I have a medical collection on my credit report Lanier Collection Agency, they refuse to do a PFD,  so I contacted the original creditor,  which is my local Dr. Office said since Lanier will not delete it, that I can come into the office and pay the accout with them and they will give me a letter stating the account is Paid In Full and for them to delete it off of my credit report.  Now my question is, since they are the original creditor, will the credit agencies delete it or will the Collection Agency try to block it??

What I'm not understanding is why the collection agency is being so difficult when the Original Creditor stated it is ok to delete it once its paid. Lanier is the ones reporting it, not my doctors office.................. Man I just hate collection agencies I'm not understanding what's the big deal I mean they are getting their money!!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Another dilemma I need advice on

It really depends on the business relationship between the OC and the CA.   Sometimes OCs will sell their debt to CAs, and sometimes they retain the debt on their books and only use CAs to collect on it.    Seems like the latter is the case here, so I don't see why you couldn't take the letter from the OC and send it to the CA.  Also asking the OC to call the CA to request removal might be a good idea.

There is also a seperate HIPPA? procedure that some people have reported success with getting CAs to delete.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 6
wynona01
Regular Contributor

Thanks,

I am actually going to go pay the account this Friday, and I will get my letter and hopefully I wont even have to deal with the collection agency but if I do then I will do the HIPPA procedure.

Message 3 of 6
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Be careful when doing this I almost got burned with the hospital same situation as you. If the doctors office sold the account then I wouldn't pay the doctors office cause the ca will keep reporting the debt. However if the doctors office is willing to pull the debt back from the ca and get them to cease reporting then that's a different story. I would just hate for you to pay the doctors office and the ca tell you tough toenails!
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you pay the OC, that does not make the prior reporting done by the debt collector inaccurate.

The OC has no authority to compel another party to delete their own accurate reporting.  The OC can certainly request the debt collector to delete their reporting, but cannot require it.  Paying the OC will compel the debt collector to close their collection and report a $0 balance under collection.  It wont compel deletion.

Message 5 of 6
wynona01
Regular Contributor

Well I just paid the original creditor and she did give me the letter for the credit agencies to delete so I will be faxing it off and keep my fingers crossed! 

Thanks guys

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.