Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another question re: multiple CA's same debt and SOL

tag
dawnm72174
Regular Contributor

Another question re: multiple CA's same debt and SOL

I have a duplicate on my TU report. Same account but different collectors. I am NOT prepared to pay this just yet but would like the duplicate removed. Should I dispute with the CRA then ask for a settlement payment plan (with delete) after it's determined who actually has the right to collect? Or let it sit for a bit longer? Or just go directly to Sprint then dispute both reportings?

Also, I'm confused about the SOL. The DOFD is 10/2009 (pretty sure it's actually 2007). Michigan, where I lived when the debt was incurred is 6 years but I now live in Oklahoma, where the SOL is either 3 or 5 years. Which one does the CRAs go by? MI or OK? Or is it not an "easy" answer

ENHANCED RECOVERY COMPAN #5812****

Placed for collection: 01/03/2012

Responsibility: Individual Account   Account Type: Open Account

Loan Type: COLLECTION AGENCY/ATTORNEY

Balance: $1,587   Date Updated: 02/19/2012

Original Amount: $1,587   Original Creditor: SPRINT (Cable/Cellular)

Past Due: >$1,587<   Pay Status: >In Collection<

Remarks: >PLACED FOR COLLECTION<

Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 09/2016

PROGRESSIVE MANAGEMENT S #1904****

Placed for collection: 06/02/2010

Responsibility: Individual Account   Account Type: Open Account

Loan Type: COLLECTION AGENCY/ATTORNEY

Balance: $1,588   Date Updated: 11/05/2010

Original Amount: $1,588   Original Creditor: SPRINT (Retail)

Past Due: >$1,588<   Pay Status: >In Collection<

Remarks: >PLACED FOR COLLECTION<

Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 09/2016

Once again, thank you all for the awesome advice you give Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Another question re: multiple CA's same debt and SOL

Is Sprint reporting anything at all? You might contact their collection department and find out if it was sold or assigned. If it was assigned ask them if they will recall it and delete the TL if you pay in full (assuming you can do that)

Certainly a DV to each CA is in order.

Since a creditor would have to sue in the state that the debt occurred, I'm fairly certain thats the SOL that applies.

Message 2 of 5
dawnm72174
Regular Contributor

Nope. Sprint not there at all. If they just assigned the debt (I hope so)  does anyone know the success rate of people working with the collections department on arranging a PFD with payment plans? Is this OC easy to work with, if that option is available to me?

I'm at 5 years past DOFD with this one. It's pretty close to end of SOL. Could that be used as leverage or should I wait until after SOL?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to work out a game plan to remove all these bad accounts. Thanks!

@Anonymous wrote:

Is Sprint reporting anything at all? You might contact their collection department and find out if it was sold or assigned. If it was assigned ask them if they will recall it and delete the TL if you pay in full (assuming you can do that)

Certainly a DV to each CA is in order.

Since a creditor would have to sue in the state that the debt occurred, I'm fairly certain thats the SOL that applies.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be VERY hesitant to try to use that as leverage. It may cause them to just pull the trigger on a lawsuit and come after your paycheck. I don't know how hard that is for them to do being in different states. DV, and hope for removal by both, but this close I would kind of wait it out and see if they try to make any kind of offers. Once the SOL hits, then you can go full bore with PFD offers.

Message 4 of 5
dawnm72174
Regular Contributor

Makes sense to me. Thanks so much Smiley Happy 

@Anonymous wrote:

I would be VERY hesitant to try to use that as leverage. It may cause them to just pull the trigger on a lawsuit and come after your paycheck. I don't know how hard that is for them to do being in different states. DV, and hope for removal by both, but this close I would kind of wait it out and see if they try to make any kind of offers. Once the SOL hits, then you can go full bore with PFD offers.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.