cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance buying car, after lease, will work for deletion?

tag
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

Any chance buying car, after lease, will work for deletion?

Okay.  Years ago I co-signed for a car for my son.  I budgeted in the amount for the car payment in my bills and advised my son to tell me if he had problems making any payments and I would make them, because I didn't want my credit affected.

Lease ended years ago and I've leased additional cars over the years from the same company (for my spouse).  My daughter wanted my previous cars so I paid it off, gave it to her and  entered my first lease for a vehicle for myself.  

Fast forward to today. I've been in the market for a second home and have discovered a 60 day late  of 3/2010 from my son's lease.  I never received a call about a late payment, nor did my son advise me. I contact the company and advise them of the arrangement with my son and acknowledge that I understand that my son( male pride) may not have told me if he got into payment trouble.  However, I would have paid immediately had they told me.  Thus, I asked them for Good Will, based on our long and continued history (sometime after my son's lease there was an end of lease issue for my husband's car & I decided to make all co-signed payments myself and have the people I co-signed for pay me).  After discovering this, my new decision is co-sign for no-one.

I sent a letter, e-mail and phoned the company.  I was told no.  My lease agreement, on my new car, ends in November and I have no problems with the car and see no reason to not to pay it off and keep it.  

Do you think it will work to ask for a deletion of the 60 day late from my record in exchange for me keeping the car or even financing a new loan with the company?  If they say "no," I can walk away from the car and find another one or finance my loan with someone else instead of them so it doesn't have to be an empty statement.  I know it's no longer hurting my credit, that much, by the time I need to use it; but having this on my record, when I always pay on time, just bugs me.  

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Any chance buying car, after lease, will work for deletion?

@bdhu2001 wrote:

Okay.  Years ago I co-signed for a car for my son.  I budgeted in the amount for the car payment in my bills and advised my son to tell me if he had problems making any payments and I would make them, because I didn't want my credit affected.

Lease ended years ago and I've leased additional cars over the years from the same company (for my spouse).  My daughter wanted my previous cars so I paid it off, gave it to her and  entered my first lease for a vehicle for myself.  

Fast forward to today. I've been in the market for a second home and have discovered a 60 day late  of 3/2010 from my son's lease.  I never received a call about a late payment, nor did my son advise me. I contact the company and advise them of the arrangement with my son and acknowledge that I understand that my son( male pride) may not have told me if he got into payment trouble.  However, I would have paid immediately had they told me.  Thus, I asked them for Good Will, based on our long and continued history (sometime after my son's lease there was an end of lease issue for my husband's car & I decided to make all co-signed payments myself and have the people I co-signed for pay me).  After discovering this, my new decision is co-sign for no-one.

I sent a letter, e-mail and phoned the company.  I was told no.  My lease agreement, on my new car, ends in November and I have no problems with the car and see no reason to not to pay it off and keep it.  

Do you think it will work to ask for a deletion of the 60 day late from my record in exchange for me keeping the car or even financing a new loan with the company?  If they say "no," I can walk away from the car and find another one or finance my loan with someone else instead of them so it doesn't have to be an empty statement.  I know it's no longer hurting my credit, that much, by the time I need to use it; but having this on my record, when I always pay on time, just bugs me.  

60 day late in 2010 is not affecting your Fico, 30-60s are minor dergos and only affect it for 2 years.  You could tell them you will not work with them anymore if they donwt give you the GW, if you do be prepared to actually follow through if they say no. You should be able to lease or purchase from just about any lender.

Message 2 of 3
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

Re: Any chance buying car, after lease, will work for deletion?

@gdale6 wrote:

@bdhu2001 wrote:

60 day late in 2010 is not affecting your Fico, 30-60s are minor dergos and only affect it for 2 years.  You could tell them you will not work with them anymore if they donwt give you the GW, if you do be prepared to actually follow through if they say no. You should be able to lease or purchase from just about any lender.

Thanks for that.  I figured it wasn't hurting my FICO score too much, because my score is pretty good. Also thank you for the advice.  I am prepared to follow through.  I'm retired and don't like to drive anyway.  

I'll ask my husband what he wants us to do. He hates it when I give up my car, because then I have to occasionally borrow his. But he's a car person and is also really into cars so he may want me to walk if they won't give me GW and choose another car and lender. Actually, he'd probably have me take his car so he can buy a new one.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.