cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance of removing string of lates from Discover?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any chance of removing string of lates from Discover?

In 2010 I set up a 5 year payment plan with Discover to pay off $15,000 in debt.  The card was closed and the payments were deducted each month automatically from my checking.  Around Christmastime 2013 I was going to be short and contacted Discover to see if I could delay making a payment.  I remember how easily they said 'no problem' and so basically I skipped a month and the payments resumed the following month.  No fees, no hassle, nothing.   I didn't think much about it and thought I was continuing on my way to getting my financial house in order.  Then, as my payments were coming to a close in 2015 I realized that Discover had been reporting me as 30 days late for 15 straight months.  I could have brought the account 'current' along the way if I had known that I was 30 days late, but didn't realize it.   Any chance if I contact them they might remove a portion of those lates?

Any advice on how to approach them?

This is the only negative account still on my report, so I'm guessing that the 15 lates are having a significant impact.

BTW, I do have a current credit card with Discover now (not sure if that matters).   Smiley Very Happy

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Any chance of removing string of lates from Discover?

I would work my arse off to get this taken 'care of'.  did the customer service rep tell you that it would be reported, or was there anything in the paperwork showing?  typically, you're removed from the 'program' if you skip a payment.

I would start with the CEO....Discover has a good reputation and they hope to keep it that way. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Uh, "start with the CEO"?
Should I just call customer service and keep escalating until someone agrees to help me? Or is there another way to approach them?

(I don't recall any mention that I would be late or else I would have brought it current ASAP. I wish I had an old copy of a monthly statement so that I could see how it described the amount due each of those months.)
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I just call customer service, I'm guessing the first folks I talk to won't have any idea how to help me.  Is there some special group I need to ask for or something?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I've been researching all day about good-will letters.  I guess I'll try that route and let you know how it goes.  If anyone has specific advice for me, let me know.  Thanks again.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just updating my original post.

A few days ago I emailed the CEO of Discover explaining the situation and asking if they would do a good-will adjustment to remove the late payments.

Today, I got a call back from someone in the executive offices.  (They said they no longer show the account in their system.)

They said they have sent a request to the 4 credit reporting agencies that they report to asking them to remove the account.  

So, I guess that's what I wanted, right?   Smiley Indifferent

Somehow I guess I thought they were going to change the reporting from late to on-time.  But I guess if it was a negative report then things should improve by it going away, right?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd be happy with that result, as you said it was a payment plan for an already closed account anyway.

So if it just gets deleted outright, I'd take it as a 'win' and keep moving.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like a W.....IMO.....Maybe get that in writing just incase also...Good luck

Message 8 of 9
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Sorry, I haven't been around.  That's why you begin with the CEO.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.