cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any idea how I would prove I never lived at a certain address on my credit file?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any idea how I would prove I never lived at a certain address on my credit file?

Recently I had to unknown unexpected collections pop up on my TU file and I have disputed those. I never recieved a dunning letter for eithr one of them and though that perhaps the listing was posted on my report in error as I have a very common name and it had happened before.

Well now the listings have been posted on EX as well and fortunately EX gives an address identifier code or what ever it is called. Well sure enough the indentifier is for an address I have NEVER lived at. I tried to dispute the information with EX put got the message something like "you can not dispute that information because it was supplied to us by a creditor. Please contact the creditor directly for assistance"

Being that the creditor is a collector in this case and collectors tend to be a holes. How can I prove I did not live at the address in question?

I have lived at my current address for 5 years now and this collection took place during that time frame.

Would a statement from my current landlord work?

Something from the DMV maybe?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any idea how I would prove I never lived at a certain address on my credit file?

The collection is from 2006. I moved in to where I live now in 2005. I would just send the CA a copy of my id BUT my license was renewed in 2006 so it kind of looks like I only lived where I currently do since 2006.

I would want something to show my address prior to that. Maybe even further back just to be sure.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Any idea how I would prove I never lived at a certain address on my credit file?

ROFL!   This is almost silly!

For anyone to tell you that a creditor is the source of proof of  your residence address is just plain, how do I say it, "STUPID!"

As long as you provide the CRA with a personal identifier that lets them know you are you, then you have the rght to update your personal information in your own credit file.

If you want to support this wth documentation, here are the current forms of address identity that are clearly recognized:

1. Copy of your drivers license/passport/any governmental ID.

2. Copy of recent bills sent to your residence address.

3. Copy of payments made to those billing you at that address

4. Copy of redacted tax filings, deleting all but your name and address.... PARTICULARLY state returns.

5. Statement of residency from your current landlord would certainly put the nail in the coffin!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh I agree it is totally completely stupid but then again it is experian we are talking about.

Im sure it will all work out I just have no patience. Especially not with experian this is not the first time they have pulled a fast one on me. There favorite thing to do is re age collection accounts.

Things will say "will continue on record until Jan 2010" Well now that it is Feb those same items say "will continue on record until Feb 2010" Thye did that do me in Dec as well. I had to dispute them to get them off.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.