cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any tips on trying for a judgement settlement?

tag
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Any tips on trying for a judgement settlement?

I tried to settle 2 of my 3 judgements and ended up not.  3rd judgement every time I called the guy acted like he couldnt hear me before it would even be time for me to speak then just keeps yelling HELLO CAN YOU HEAR ME before hanging up.

One good thing, I did find out 2 of my judgements were sold to I think JohnsonMark.  The other one is with Machol and Johannes (the ones who act like they have phone issues)  not whats on my report, took me a good hour to figure out which accounts were sold to who and which accounts those were.  JohnsonMark still has the wrong case number for one of my accounts.  "They will look into it" for 3 months now.

Is it normal after 7 years that they only offer to take 200 dollars off for a settlement?  The 3300 settlement they offered to take 200 off of, the 1920 settlement they offered to take 200 dollars off of.  I got very annoyed with the lady and ended up telling her Id call back in a year to see if they could offer something better.  (current garnishment is going to take 2+ years so they wont be getting any money soon)  I explained to her I had no problem paying the original amount or the original amount plus 50% to cover court costs and fees but I was not going to pay 3x the original amount due to interest and repurchasing fees.  (every time its resold they seem to tack on another fee and then charge more interest)

Kinda bummed.  I know they dont work like collections but I was hoping for something better especially after so long.  (I am guessing they dont offer better because they know EVENTUALLY they will get their money via garnishments.)

Would I be any better off fiing to get the garnishments stopped?  Would that entice them to offer a better option?  I havent done so yet because I like that its paying them off but its really hard to support 5 people on 1000 a month after garnishment and child support.   I could of swore you werent allowed to charge more than the original amount in interest but I know I am wrong about that now, probably part of why I dont want to pay the currently asked for amounts.   

Part of me just complaining Smiley Happy  Part of me asking if anyone has any advice on arguing a settlement.

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.