cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to tell if a TL had ever been deleted as a result of a dispute?

tag
JimsHouse

Any way to tell if a TL had ever been deleted as a result of a dispute?

Consistent with my other thread, I have a single CA reporting on my CR, and I would like to get rid of it. 

I had previously successfully disputed the same debt, (filed paper dispute with CRAs, CMRRR) before it was sold to the current CA.  I say successfully in that my credit score was high enough to not reflect the negative report.  This was the case for 6-8 months (high score not reflecting the negative) Now of course it is back lower as the new CA is reporting. 

My question is is there any way to tell if that TL was deleted, and is now reinserted by the current CA?  Or is there some mechanism by which a dispute can float without the TL being removed after 30 days post dispute.  What I am trying to do is figure out if there is a 611(a)(5)(8) violation by my current CA. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Any way to tell if a TL had ever been deleted as a result of a dispute?

No violation unless its past the CRTP. OC can engage any CA, pull it back and engage a different CA. Only 1 CA at a time can report on it though. If the CA owns the debt and sells it to another CA/JDB, same thing only 1 can report at a time.

Message 2 of 7
JimsHouse

I understand what you are saying, and I'm still learning, but isn't that the point of 611(a)(5)(B)?  That is, if the information has been removed for being unable to be verified post dispute, such information shall not be reinserted unless i) the CA provides the CRA a certification of accuracy and ii) the CRA provides notice to the consumer within 5 days?   

Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@JimsHouse wrote:

I understand what you are saying, and I'm still learning, but isn't that the point of 611(a)(5)(B)?  That is, if the information has been removed for being unable to be verified post dispute, such information shall not be reinserted unless i) the CA provides the CRA a certification of accuracy and ii) the CRA provides notice to the consumer within 5 days?   

Yes, this is correct.  However, it doesn't need to be just the CA that was deleted.  It would include any creditor/CA that reinsets it.

Message 4 of 7
JimsHouse

ok, thats helpful to know Im reading that right.  SO that brings up the follow on from above--is there a way to tell if it was once deleted?  Or can a dispute float on an item after the 30 day mark?

Message 5 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

All disputes have to be resolved within 30 days, one way or the other.  Except for those from an annualcreditreport.com report.  Those have 45 days.

I am confused because you said it was previously disputed and removed.  Don't you have any CR or letters from the CRAs telling you it was deleted?

Or did I read your initial post incorrectly?

It is possible that your dispute and their own removal of the TL due to them selling the account to another CA happened at the same time and it was not removed due to non verification.

Message 6 of 7
JimsHouse

Sorry if I was unclear.  I don't know if the TL was ever deleted as a result of my dispute--I can only infer it.

My credit, prior to 2011 was good.  780 range. In 2011 this TL popped up, dropping my FAKO to 660s.  I disputed the item, and, as a result, my FAKO returned to the 780 range.  It stayed this way for I think about 8 months (I stopped paying attention as I thought it was resolved.)  I never saw if the line was actually removed from my report.  I assume that as my score stayed high for those 8 months, the OC/CA did not promptly respond to the dispute (within 30 days).  That makes me question whether the item had either been deleted, or if a dispute and a TL can coexist for that period of time.  I hope that makes it more clear.  Please let me know if it isn't, and I'll do my best to explain further.  Thanks as always for the input! 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.