cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone ever use a credit repair service?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone ever use a credit repair service?

Has anyone here used a credit repair service?

I am so temped to go get one.....cause this gets overwhelming at times....just trying to get stuff off that I have no idea of is killing me!

I just started getting serious about my credit....so I never looked at it before a couple of months ago....but I am obsessed to getting it clean!

Capitol One shows in my "payment history" that most months were "foreclosed/repo".....this is for an account I don't even think is mine! Says it received payment twice in 2007...this I know for sure I did not do....cause I did not know about the account!
I heard that by them labeling that it does not effect my credit....but i drives me crazy that it's on there!

Say if I were to remove an account that is closed & is in bad standing....how many points could I expect?

Sorry for the rant....i get so burnt trying to clean this up!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone ever use a credit repair service?

Definitely dispute the account that you do not believe to be yours.

The problem with credit repair services is twofold. First, you pay a lot of money for something you could do yourself. Second, too many credit repair services use the tactic of disputing ALL negatives, which seldom works and usually ends up getting your account flagged as a chronic disputer.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for getting back to me....I am disputing several accounts now.......but I did it by sending a letter to EQ.

The thing that gets me is that we have to prove that these accounts are incorrect!
If the credit card company & collection agency come back saying they are valid....then I can send a DV to the CA......but what I don't understand is what do they have to prove that it's my account?

Also....I have a collection account on there saying that I am 120 days late...I read else where that they cannot report how late it is...is that true? What do I send them to correct this?

Is there a good book out there that will list what you need to do to remove things from your reports?

Thanks again!
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have never heard anything good about credit repair services!

You can do it yourself!!  it might drive you nuts  but then you would be in good company with the rest of us!

Take it slow. Do 1 thing at a time!  It really isn't hard or time consuming. You take 1 item and work on that...it usually takes 30 days to get any answers....

You learn as you go & it really does get easier as you go!

Capitol One shows in my "payment history" that most months were "foreclosed/repo".....this is for an account I don't even think is mine! Says it received payment twice in 2007...this I know for sure I did not do....cause I did not know about the account!
I heard that by them labeling that it does not effect my credit....but i drives me crazy that it's on there!

Have you disputed this yet??       If not....I would call Cap1 and using the account # on your CR or your name & SS #........ask what they are showing.

IF they do not have any info.  Dispute with all CRAs reporting as *not mine*

The CRAs will answer with in 30 days...if it comes back verified (and it is reported incorrect)

Then send the OC letter  CMRRR to Cap1

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you!!!

i have not contacted any of the companies..i have just filed a dispute with EQ....waiting to hear back from them to see if they are verified.

So if things come back as verified.....i send

OC letter to credit card company

DV letter to collection agency

thanks for the support...i am just use to having something corrected right then if it's not correct.....and i guess that does not happen when you are dealing with your credit!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.