cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have any luck with public records?

tag
antso91
Regular Contributor

Anyone have any luck with public records?

Hello All!

I've had a public record on my account thats been paid off for about a year. It was with Capital One (who have since given me two more cards, one secured and the other a quicksilver with a starting CL of 500 which jumped to 3500 a week ago for no aparent reason) I was not aware of a pay for delete at the time I paid it so that went out the window. I disputed it with all 3 CRAs and was able to get it off one of them, experian. The other two wont budge. I dont know what to do, is it possible to get it removed? I dont even know who to contact because it went through court and a law office, Its so confusing to me.

Thank you for the help!!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Anyone have any luck with public records?

Public records are not normally "reported" to the CRAs by involved parties, such as the creditor, plaintiff,  or courts.

They normally find their way to consumer credit reports by way of independent public records searches conducted by the CRAs.

The CRAs have a vested interest in making their reports as complete as possible, thus increasing their potential value to their customers.

As such, they hire private searchers to review public records, and then supplement their files with the results

There is usually not a classis "furnisher"of the information.  That is the reason, for example, that the direct dispute rules exclude direct disputes related to public record information..... there is normally no furnisher to direct the dispute..

Message 2 of 17
antso91
Regular Contributor

Hmm Ok, so basically there really is nothing I can do to try and get these removed? I just dont understand why one of the CRA's removed it when I disuputed but the other two will not budge. This is whats really holding me down. I just got my scored and they are TU 666 EX 654 and EQ 645, up from all around 530 1 year ago, which feels amazing its just that one public judgement.I feel is really hurting me.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you say "public record", do you mean that you were sued and a judgment was filed against you? If so, yes it can be removed. I'm in the process if having exactly the same thing done right now. If you've paid it in full, then you need to get a "Satisfaction of Judgment" letter from the plaintiff's atty/ law office stating that the judgment has been satisfied (paid in full). You then need to take that letter to the Clerk's office and file it with the courts so you can get a hearing date to have the judge sign off on it. Once the judge signs off on it, send it to whichever CRA that is showing it, and request that it be removed from your credit reports. The procedures vary by state, some states have online forms that you can fill out, and some do not. I received knowledge for all of this on this forum. Just search "vacate judgment" and "set aside judgment" on this forum and you'll find plenty of helpful info and tips.
Message 4 of 17
antso91
Regular Contributor

Really??? It could be that simple? The other ones I read said I should file the order to vacate directly with the Law office that put the judgement on me from cap one and pay them something like $100 bucks to have them do it. I have no problem doing it myself, I just really want this gone. I cant believe its that simple? Thank you so much for your post, that has helped me tremendously. I am going to check when I get home, I believe I already have a letter of satifaction from them.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcomed!! Yes, you may ask the law office to file it for you and pay them got any fees that may incur. But if you can/ know how to do it yourself, then you can do it yourself and just pay whatever court fees you may need to pay (if any at all). I just filed my paperwork today and the court fee was $25. There have been some people who just wrote a good will letter to the judge and the judge signed off on it and then smiled it to them. A few others said they just filed the paperwork with the clerks office and once the judge signed off on it, they just picked it up and didn't even have to have a hearing. So as you can see, it varies by state. In my case (state of TN), i have to have a hearing. But I'm ok with that, just so glad that I'll be able to finally have this judgment removed!!
Message 6 of 17
antso91
Regular Contributor

Awesome!! Congrats I hope it works out for you!! I just checked and I did get a "satisfaction of judgment" letter. I can't find any info on it for the state of CT though. I'm Wondering it its less of a hassle to just have the law office do it for me or to go down to the clerks office? What do you think?

Or do I really just have to bring this down to the clerks office and ask them to file it ro vacate the judgement and they should know what I'm talking about? I just don't want to get down there and then tell me they have no idea what that is and then I look like an idiot.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

First you can call your clerks office and ask if they have a form for having a judgment "vacated" or "set aside". Not all states word it the same, but it'll be one of those two. You may also be able to find the forms for your state online by googling it. Don't forget to search it/ check the helpful info on this forum, that's what I did and it helped me out a lot. But if doing this yourself seems to be too much of a hassle for you, then you may ask the law office if you may pay them a fed to do it for you. There actually were a couple of posts I read where the law offices/ attorneys did file the paperwork and didn't charge any fees to do it.
Message 8 of 17
antso91
Regular Contributor

So I spoke to the Clerks office who was completely useless, they barely had any idea what I was talking about and sent me to a law library. I spoke with a very nice women who explained it to to me. CT is different because we dont have drafted forms to fill out to make it easy. I would basically have to draft something up myself and I have no idea how to do that. I think I may call a lawyer today and try and find out the process. I really want this off my reports and I thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction, I just wish it was as simple as yours. DAMN CT!!

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@antso91 wrote:

So I spoke to the Clerks office who was completely useless, they barely had any idea what I was talking about and sent me to a law library. I spoke with a very nice women who explained it to to me. CT is different because we dont have drafted forms to fill out to make it easy. I would basically have to draft something up myself and I have no idea how to do that. I think I may call a lawyer today and try and find out the process. I really want this off my reports and I thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction, I just wish it was as simple as yours. DAMN CT!!

Yes, some states make it quite easy to remove a paid judgement, others do not. So far I have not been able to find ANY information on whether this can be done in Oregon (my state). Smiley Surprised

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.