Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have luck with BBB complaints?

tag
p-
Valued Contributor

Anyone have luck with BBB complaints?

Anyone have luck with BBB complaints?  Specifically in the removal of collections, or with Verizon home phone...  They are reporting me wrong, and I've tried everything to make them go away.  My only other option at this point is a lawsuit.  The complaint text is in my credit log; will it get me anywhere?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone have luck with BBB complaints?

I've had some very good luck with the BBB.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 2 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Not with Verizon, but I have had good outcomes.  My complaints were legitimate though.  I've seen a lot of failures with it, but it was because they had nothing to back up their complaints.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 10
p-
Valued Contributor

@madmann26 wrote:
I've had some very good luck with the BBB.

I saw some of your back-and-forth with PRA; what other BBB complaints have you had?  What was the process like, i.e. steps, timing, etc.?

Message 4 of 10
madmann26
Valued Contributor

I'll have to go back and look but Enhanced Recovery was one. I filed the complaint on the lack of response to my GW request. Lol.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 5 of 10
p-
Valued Contributor

@madmann26 wrote:
I'll have to go back and look but Enhanced Recovery was one. I filed the complaint on the lack of response to my GW request. Lol.

And that worked?  Wow, I'm suprised a CA even cares about the BBB's opinion of them, especially for something like that.  Maybe there is hope after all.

Message 6 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In the pecking order of addressing issues over credit reporting, BBB complaints are not a part of the formal process, so their impact is solely dependent upon how the creditor/debt collector views their businsess reputation.

Any violation of either the FDCPA or FCRA is delegated under those statutes for admin review by way or complaint to the FTC.

If the violation relates to accuracy of credit reporting, the FCRA dispute process is available.

Since neifther of those processes provide a party to decide differences of facts, once exhausted, the final remedy is to get the issue before the court.

Message 7 of 10
p-
Valued Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

In the pecking order of addressing issues over credit reporting, BBB complaints are not a part of the formal process, so their impact is solely dependent upon how the creditor/debt collector views their businsess reputation.

Any violation of either the FDCPA or FCRA is delegated under those statutes for admin review by way or complaint to the FTC.

If the violation relates to accuracy of credit reporting, the FCRA dispute process is available.

Since neifther of those processes provide a party to decide differences of facts, once exhausted, the final remedy is to get the issue before the court.

Food for thought.  I'm on the fence with regard to the courts in this case, as the effort v. benefit ratio isn't very favorable.  My hope is someone at a high enough level will see the information and agree to delete it for me.  Have complaints to the FTC been fruitful?

Message 8 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I've filed complaints with the FTC before but wasn't expecting results for me.  They don't handle individual complaints, when they get so many, then they investigate and fine if need be.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 10
p-
Valued Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

I've filed complaints with the FTC before but wasn't expecting results for me.  They don't handle individual complaints, when they get so many, then they investigate and fine if need be.

Ah...

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.