Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have luck with GWs after BK7?

tag
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Anyone have luck with GWs after BK7?

Hey all,

Been reading these forums a long while, and posted here and there, but it's time for me to ask question.

Has anyone had luck getting goodwill removals after buring the creditor in a BK?

If not, what about PFDs after BK on discharged debt?

If the answer is even close to "yes" on either of those, are there specific banks that are more receptive?  Banks I shouldn't bother with at all?

Thanks,

-SM

P.S. PreBK i was @ ~470.  A year and a month later, I'm @ EQ664 w/ 2 not-yet-paid-off tax liens.  All, thanks to these forums.  I'll have the CA Tax Board PIF next week, and hopefully the IRS by Oct/Nov.  My #1 Primary Main Super Objective is to have a clean report (except for the public records, which can't be disappeared) long before my BK will fall off (DEC2020).  Goodwills seem to be the way to go.

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone have luck with GWs after BK7?

Hi-

I am glad you asked this question, I can't wait to hear the responses from the group.  Everyone here is SO helpful!  I am kindda in the same situation and was seeking the same advice.

If you don't mind, how did you get your scores up so high?  Have you had any IIB accounts deleted?  If so, how??  I would love to clean up my report but have no clue where to start Smiley Frustrated  I was told that you couldn't PFD on these accounts and that GWs usually never work as there is no incentive for the creditor.  I am hoping that is not the case. 

Also, a question for the group, if you get the account IIB removed, and they are your oldest accounts, will that be worse for your score than having them on IIB?   I was told that accounts IIB don't hurting you that much?  SO SORRY...not trying to hyjack your post just wanted to ask additional questions in line with yours.

Starting Score: 530
3-2013Score: TU 680 EQ 683 EXP 679 FAKO
Current Score (lender pull): TU 693 EQ 649 EXP 699 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Smiley Wink  I don't know that I'd consider my scores "so high", but here's a quick accounting of what I've done since they day after my discharge:

1.  Pulled ALL 3 reports.

2.  Disputed anything and everything to say "Included in Bankruptcy", and didn't give up until they all did (this took about 6 months).

3.  Opened Nevada Federal CU "New Start" checking account (NF is now OneNevada CU)

4. 4 Days post-discharge, apped for an Orchard Bank card - Approved 300CL, unsecured, $59af

5. 1mo Post Discharge: Opened a $1000 "Credit Builder" loan @ Nevada Federal CU (this is a loan secured by a CD that is funded by the loan itself)

6. 6mo Post Discharge: apped for CapitalOne Cash Rewards card - Approved $750CL, unsecured, $39af

7.  Switch all usage to C1 card, except for my Android Apps account (about $2/mo on Orchard).

8.  Completed C1 "Credit Steps" and got CLI to $1250 in early Nov

9.  Wait for CLI to report on all 3.

10.  11.5Mo after BK: App for Discover More - Approved 1000CL, unsecured, no AF

That's about it so far.  I'm also paying my taxes.  CA has lien (~$1700) and IRS has lien (~$21,000) which both report PR on all 3 CRAs.

I use the hell out of my cards, and normally pay them off before the statement closes.

My EQ Fico is 664 and my FAKOs are TU691 EQ678  EX693.

Now it's time to GW the crap off.

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Message 3 of 9
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

Wait...11.5 months post Chpt 7 you were approved for a Discover More card??????  I thought no one with a bk reporting would be approved for any discover card??  Wow, you are truly lucky!

Message 4 of 9
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Yep.  I apped online for one with slightly better terms, 0% for 6mo and a $200 cashback bonus after X spend in 3 mos... It came back with "Sorry, we couldn't approve you for the card you app'ed for, but we CAN approve you for one with these terms:  3.99% for 6mo then 20.99%.  Needless to say, I accepted.

I never carry a balance, so interest rate doesn't matter.

Right now, I'm trying to get a $1500 sig loan from my CU, but they are balking @ the IRS lein.  I'm working with underwriting to get around that (showing them my payment schedule / history).  Fingers crossed.  I don't even need the $, I just want it to keep upping my cscores.  My goal is 700 by June.

-SM

Message 5 of 9
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

Do you pay off the loans in full or pay on them?  How long did you let them stay open with you just making payments before you PIF?

Message 6 of 9
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

...and finger crossed for your loan approval Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 9
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

In a normal month, I pay off my CC's in full before they ever bill, sometimes $5 or $20 slips on between them and shows up, but that's it.  This month I got sort of boned by New Years, C1 closed on the 2nd, but didn't accpet the payment I made on the 30th until the 3rd (holiday weekend, my fault), so it will report @ $700, which I expect will lower me about 10pts once it does, but I'll still be > 33% util across the board so who knows.

For my credit builder, it was $84/month and I let it auto-pay.  The last payment was the 2nd(3rd) so it just would up PIF/Closed and hasn't reported yet.  We'll see what happens.

Anyhow, that loan was to show that I could pay on time, not that I could PIF, which is why I did it that way.  Also, the CD that was funding it matured today, so that's a nice little bonus of $1000 cash for me.  Smiley Very Happy  Effectively, the credit-builder loan is a 12mo savings program.

-SM

Message 8 of 9
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

Sweet bonus!  Thanks so much for all of the info...I am really trying to increase my score and this info is going to be very beneficial! 

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.