Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone want to help a Newbie?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone want to help a Newbie?

Hello,

Just getting started on the rebuilding credit journey and am a bit overwhelmed with all the info.  I have a few accounts on my cr that are due to come off soon. I'm not sure which one's to try to get off early or just leave alone. Any help is welcome. I'm a bit nervous about any of this. I'm not sure what happens if I dispute or ask for early exclusion. I sure don't want to stir up a hornets nest of one of them that is set to fall off soon, but am looking at purchasing a new car in the next couple of months. I realize I won't get a great interest rate, but think I might be able to refinance in the summer/fall.

I think that if I can get started, I can be a quick learner, but am having a hard time knowing where to start. I did call TU to dispute some of my personal info, but "chickened out" of asking for any early exclusions or disputing anything else.

The 3 cra's have slightly different info, but my TU looks like the following:

Public Record (Dental Bill)

- Balance - $0

- Date Filed - 6/2008

- Date of Removal - 5/2015

Adverse Accounts:

AFNI (Medical Collection)

- Balance - $292

- Date of Removal - 2/2015

CBA (Retail Collection)

- Balance $507

- Date of Removal - 9/2015

Convergent Healthcare (Medical Collection)

- Balance $236

- Date of Removal - 12/2015

- Balance $90

- Date of Removal - 4/2016

- Balance $136

- Date of Removal - 5/2016

- Balance $121

- Date of Removal - 7/2016

- Balance $90

- Date of Removal - 7/2016

FNB (Bank Loan)

- 4 30day late payments (11/2009-12/2009-1/2010-3/2010)

HSBC (Credit Card)

- Balance $0 ($594 Charged Off - Sold to Midland)

- Date of Removal - 3/2015

Midland Funding (Credit Card, purchased from HSCB)

- Balance $767

- Date of Removal - 3/2015

PMC (Medical Collection)

- $0

- Date of Removal - 10/2014

Affiliated Group (Medical Collection)

- $252

Date of Removal - 4/2020

- I sent them a PFD request. They sent me back a validation of the debt.

7 Hard Inquiries from 12/2012 (financed a car)

1 Hard Inquiry from last month (got a cc)

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Cheshiregrl
Contributor

Re: Anyone want to help a Newbie?

If it's trans union then go online and add a dispute and check the box that says too old to report. I recommend doing that for anything due to fall off between now and March because they tend to be very flexible for 6 month fall offs. I had my baddie due in jan erased last week after only three days of disputing

Starting Score:MyFico EQ 651 6/14
MyFico TU 676 7/14
MyFico EX 670 8/14
Current 3-bureau score watch 3/15:EQ 736 EX 687 TU 783
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even the one that still shows a balance? I was scared of waking a bear before it falls off. I am in Illinois, but don't yet understand the SOL stuff.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a chance of them removing the inquiries that are due to come off in December early? I'm currently locked out of online disputes with TU. I think if I can just get started, I can get the ball rolling. I'm just nervous about doing the wrong thing. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are locked out the best bet is to call. Just let them know you are not disputing validity of debt but they are too old to report. If the first rep doesn't do it call back until you get one that does. Persistence is the key. be courteous and professional and they will too.  Keep working the PFD on the newer debt. Bug them until someone says yes. Good luck.

Message 5 of 6
ms_cora
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Just getting started on the rebuilding credit journey and am a bit overwhelmed with all the info.  I have a few accounts on my cr that are due to come off soon. I'm not sure which one's to try to get off early or just leave alone. Any help is welcome. I'm a bit nervous about any of this. I'm not sure what happens if I dispute or ask for early exclusion. I sure don't want to stir up a hornets nest of one of them that is set to fall off soon, but am looking at purchasing a new car in the next couple of months. I realize I won't get a great interest rate, but think I might be able to refinance in the summer/fall.

I think that if I can get started, I can be a quick learner, but am having a hard time knowing where to start. I did call TU to dispute some of my personal info, but "chickened out" of asking for any early exclusions or disputing anything else.

The 3 cra's have slightly different info, but my TU looks like the following:

Public Record (Dental Bill)

- Balance - $0

- Date Filed - 6/2008

- Date of Removal - 5/2015 Look up the HIPPA policy

Adverse Accounts:

AFNI (Medical Collection)

- Balance - $292

- Date of Removal - 2/2015 Look up the HIPPA policy

CBA (Retail Collection)

- Balance $507

- Date of Removal - 9/2015 Is there anything wrong with the way its reporting, is it a valid debt?

- Balance $236

- Date of Removal - 12/2015 Look up the HIPPA policy

- Balance $90

- Date of Removal - 4/2016 Look up the HIPPA policy

- Balance $136

- Date of Removal - 5/2016 Look up the HIPPA policy

- Balance $121

- Date of Removal - 7/2016 Look up the HIPPA policy

- Balance $90

- Date of Removal - 7/2016 Look up the HIPPA policy

FNB (Bank Loan)

- 4 30day late payments (11/2009-12/2009-1/2010-3/2010) These are no longer hurting your scores, you can start a goodwill campaign

HSBC (Credit Card)

- Balance $0 ($594 Charged Off - Sold to Midland)

- Date of Removal - 3/2015 I would personally let them age off

Midland Funding (Credit Card, purchased from HSCB)

- Balance $767

- Date of Removal - 3/2015 Let it age

PMC (Medical Collection)

- $0

- Date of Removal - 10/2014 Look up the HIPPA policy

Affiliated Group (Medical Collection)

- $252

Date of Removal - 4/2020

- I sent them a PFD request. They sent me back a validation of the debt.Look up the HIPPA policy

7 Hard Inquiries from 12/2012 (financed a car) If it was done within a 14-30 day period depending on the bureau these only count as one

1 Hard Inquiry from last month (got a cc) treat it well and hopefully it will grow with you.

Please remember it is against the forums policy to dispute correct/valid debt however if there is an error in what they are reporting you can dispute on that basis. I found that by having old addresses removed then disputing  I had more favorable results. Maybe one of the elders will come through and clarify.

10/20/2015
Starting Score: 499
Current Score: 697
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.