Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anything I can do? Desperate for advice low 500 credit scores

tag
ScottL
New Contributor

Anything I can do? Desperate for advice low 500 credit scores

This is going to be long, but I would GREATLY appreciate anyone who will take the time and read and try to help me out.

I am 33 years old, married 11 years with 2 children. Have a good paying job and alot to be greatful for. But my credit score is shot! Wife and I would like to think about buyin ga new house sometime soon (bought our house about 11 years ago) but Im certain my credit will hinder that from happening.

I signed up with a Wells Fargo 3 credit monitoring service and pulled all 3 of my credit scores today and all 3 range from 510-530ish. 

Over the past few years, I have changed jobs and gone through a separation with my wife and have ruined my credit. Im now back with my wife and things are better, but hard time caused some troubles for me..   Here is a quick overview of my situation

1. Mortgage… been with them since 2001 and have a couple 30 day late payments… think 3 are showing up over the past 2 years
  2. Truck loan… been with them for a little over a year and same thing, 3 late payments are showing
  3. Discover credit card…. When I was going through separation, stopped paying as money was tight and now this is a chargeoff. I tried disputing once online and came back valid and didn’t get removed.
  4. Collection for broken lease at apartment… this is apartment I got when I separated from my wife and broke the lease to come back home.. same thing, I tried to dispute but didn’t come off
  5. Collection for TXU electric company and another collection for ATT Uverse TV… I disputed the TXU once and it didn’t come off, the new one for the $288 ATT is new and I have not disputed it yet
  6. Quite a few inquiries over the past year or 2, not sure what they all are, but haven’t ever tried to remove any of them yet

I think that’s really about it, but my problem is all this is valid debt and don’t know how to have it removed. I was thinking of calling and setting up payment plans with these guys, but I know in doing so, it will not be removed and just will say something like settled for less than owed and still hurt me, and the plans will drag out for a year or more and my 7 year period will continue to start over every payment I make.

Since I have no other credit except my truck and house, I did just get approved for a secured credit card with Capital One. My plan is to just charge something small and pay it off each month. Considering even getting a 2nd or 3rd secured card also to start building my credit. Or do you think just 1 would be enough? I dont want to throw down $300+ for secured deposits if getting more really wont help.

Obviously I know I need to continue making payments on time, that along with getting a new credit should help. But what im most concerned with is getting the old bad stuff taken off. Can you guys do that? Can I remove the collections without me paying them? Can I remove if I do pay them? Can I have my true and valid 30 day late payments removed? 

thanks guys in advance

Starting Score: 498 (Jan 2013)
Current FICO 8: 687 EQ, 683 TU, 700 EX
Goal Score: 680
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
jandj80
Regular Contributor

Re: Anything I can do? Desperate for advice low 500 credit scores

Welcome. Don't worry, your report is not even that bad. I would HIGHLY recommend pulling your EQ and TU FICOS on this site, as the scores you were given are FAKOs and are not at all accurate. You need to know what your FICO is, as this is the score lenders use. Fakos are for educational purposes only. 

The first thing you should do is send some heart felt, short but sweet goodwill letters to the mortgage company and the auto loan company and try to get those lates off of there. It might take a few attempts, but be persisitant. Send those letters again and again, and send them to important people within the company. If you search goodwill letters on this site, you will find some you can tweak and use.

Call the collections agencies and offer pay for deletions. If you owe $300, tell them you will pay $150 this week via certified money order if they will remove all past and future reporting from the bureaus. Make sure you get this in writing if they agree. If they won't talk half, try 60% etc, until you can reach an agreement. Always insist on deletion and don't give in. 

From here on out, do NOT miss any payments. Get yourself another 2 cards- never more than 3. IF your FICOS are 600+, I would app for a Walmart card and a Capital one card once you have 6 months reporting on that secured card. If you just got the secured card recently, go ahead and add another secured, and then app for a Walmart card after 6 months. (You get free FICO scores when you have a Walmart card, and its a great rebuilder with good credit limit increases).

You are going to need two years of no late payments, so if you can't get them removed, it is important to go forward without getting any more. Set your goal month for apping for a new home, make sure that it is a date that makes it so you have no recent lates, and start working. This forum is the best place to start. I personally have seen 100+ point gains in just 6 months, You can do this! As someone said to me a few months ago- Lets get this house!! 

Starting Score: EQ 416 TU 498 EX 468 Lender Fico's July 2012
Current Score: EQ 674 TU 679 Ex 686 EX
Goal Score: For now: 640s

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 25
ScottL
New Contributor

I talked to the apartment collection people once a few months ago, and they were willing to do a pay for deletion, but they wanted nearly 100% and didnt and dont have the money for that. For any kind of settlement, she said they wouldnt guarntee for deletion but would "probably" do it once it was paid and settled.

As for the other 2 collection accounts, both are very small and Ill probably just pay off the TXU one and ask them to delete since its only $181. But the other one just showed up this month and I called to see who they were, and they said they dont do deletions but will show its paid and no balance. Im not thinking this is what I want.  What do I do if they arent cooperative to delete?

and lastly, what about the Discover credit card? This is a pretty high balance of like $5500. I havent really called them and im sure they will do some kind of settlement, but im not thinking they will delete this from my credit considering I had the credit card for like 8 years or something.

I have already made up some goodwill letters im going to mail today to my auto and home loans, but i also did some validation letters to send to the collection companies. is this a good idea? i mean what do i have to lose, right? I just assume since they are valid, they will have the proper documentation and just a waste of time.

what about all those inquiries I have? is there anything i can do about those? Im sure those are hurting me as well and when my score is this low, every little bit helps

Message 3 of 25
ScottL
New Contributor

Okay, I just called Discover and after about 45 mins on the phone this is what they said...

They didnt sell the debt, but are using a collection company called Encore to handle everything. They said I owe $5500 and can either take a $4000 settlement or 5 payments of $1100 or whatever. Neither option will remove from my credit, but only show as paid but less than owed.

What do I do here?

Message 4 of 25
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome to the forums.  First off, I'd like to say you've already started down the right path, we just need to get you to the finish line.  Don't worry about the Inqs, they only figure into your scores for the first year, and really not that much.  It's the baddies that we need to get off your CR.

You need to formulate a plan of attack.  Take all the baddies and make a file on each one.  Keep all your records in order, so if there's a screw up, it won't be on your part and you can use that to your advantage.

Anything that's paid, get a GW out for.  If it's not paid, you will send a PFD if you have the funds for it.  At some point, you may just have to pay/settle and then go the GW route.  

Now break down your baddies and set goals for each one.  I like to keep them seperated so as not to get overwhelmed by the whole process.

As far as Discover goes, I had an account like that too.  After many GWs, they actually removed all but 1 30 day late on TU, so persistence with them seemed to pay off.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 25
maluba
Regular Contributor

Encore is most likely Midland Funding. I just wanted to thro that out there. You can try for a PFD (pay for delete) pretty much the same thing you've been doing. Start at 25% and work from there. Now, from what I understand, this might not work (but it never hurts to try) and you might have to pay and then GW them for a delete (they tend to be more receptive to a GW).

Starting Score: 588
Current Score: 610
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 25
jandj80
Regular Contributor

Since that Discover one is so large, I would snowball this. Start with the smallest debt, and make that one your first goal. Get a PFD letter out, and make sure you have the money to pay it. Attack them in order from least $ to most $, saving discover for last. I would not contact them anymore for the time being. It takes time, but if you put your mind to it, you will get through this and be able to buy a house. I also forgot to ask, if you are selling your current home, what are you going to have for a downpayment? If you have a large down, many banks will finance you with poor credit. Also, you could use proceeds from the sale of the home to put Discover to rest. If you do FHA, they will over look Discover as long as you have a payment agreement in place, so I would keep that in mind. 

Message 7 of 25
jandj80
Regular Contributor

One more thing.

Your DOFD is always the same, they cannot change the date that the debt went past due for the first time. So, when the 7.5 years is up (from the date it first went delinquent) the debt cannot be reported. It can, however, still be collected. I would also find out the SOL for your state while you are doing this. If you live somewhere that is low, you may be out of that soon, which makes it a little easier to bargain. 

Message 8 of 25
ScottL
New Contributor

Re: One more thing.

I am in Texas.

The apartment first showed up on March 2012

Discover was 30 days late Sept 2011, then 60, 90, 120, etc from there

Message 9 of 25
ScottL
New Contributor

Re: One more thing.

okay, today i sent some GW letters to my house and truck to see about removing the late payments on each.

I then sent the validation letters to all other things on my credit (discover, apartment, txu and att)

guess well see what happens from there. But would you also reccomend me going on the TU, Ex etc websites and disputing these things again? I think I disputed everything 1-2 times each earlier in the year and they didnt come off. I dont mind trying again and spending the time doing it, I just dont want to do it if you are only allowed to do it so many times or by doing it multiple times might cause harm or something? otherwise, i might as well keep disputing, right?

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.