Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anything wrong with these letters?

tag
WIDSMI
Regular Contributor

Re: Anything wrong with these letters?

I just heard back from First Premier... They basically said I need to pay the full balance and they would only agree to update the listing as Paid in full or Settled if paid less then owed...

What should i do? Shoudl I just do the Paid in full... it wont come off my report until 2015.... THEY WILL NOT DELETE>>>>>and yes FP has the acct... it was at a collection companyt then FP got it back...

What would you do?

Message 11 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Anything wrong with these letters?

I think you are asking for the wrong thing.  If you pay, the current status must then read paid.

When you pay off debt on an account, regardless of its status prior to paying, and regardless of whether you pay in full or settle for less than the full amount, the current status will read only one thing..... Paid.  There are no current status codes of paid, after charge off, collection, or anything else.  Just paid.

The other designations are based on other reported field codes in your credit file.

Take the example of an account with a prior charge-off as the last status, and it is then paid.  The current status would be updated to Paid.  Period.

The charge-off is separately recorded under your "Payment Rating" field of your credit file, which retains the status prior to its new, current status.

The CO is also retained under your payment history profile.

The paid CO would then show a current status of paid.  Both the payment rating code and the payment history profile would retain the presence of the prior charge-off.

When you get a CR that says "paid after charge-off," that is actually a combination of two field codes from your credit file.

The same holds for accounts settled for less than the full amount.  Both would show the exact same current status of paid.  The payment for less than the full amount is recorded under a separate field code called "special comments."

They dont have to agree to update the status to paid.  They must do so.  If you want your credit file to be purged of all record of the CO, then updating current status to paid wont do that.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.