Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apartment Collections

tag
dsw283
New Contributor

Re: Apartment Collections

Roughly about $1800.  Also, if I had a co-signer could this debt be overlooked when applying or will they still not rent to me because of this very reason.

Message 11 of 19
Shokk
Established Contributor

@dsw283 wrote:

Roughly about $1800.  Also, if I had a co-signer could this debt be overlooked when applying or will they still not rent to me because of this very reason.

That will be up to the complex.  One may say yes, and another say no.

Back to your original post.  Who owns the debt?  Is the CA collecting for the apartments, or do they own the debt? Are both the CA and apartments reporting on your CR?  If the apartments own the debt, ask them if they will recall from the CA.  If they do, the CA must delete their TL.  If they sold to the CA, no more phone calls to the apartments, there's nothing they can do.  Then you work on your PFD with the CA.  As mentioned, you have the leverage here.  Some CA's won't PFD regardless of what you do.

If you need an apartment, try the co-sign route.  if that doesn't work, you're going to have to get it paid.  Showing its paid may get some of these apartments that are denying you to reconsider.  it might be worth a phone call to one of them to ask if paying it will get them to reconsider.

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 12 of 19
dsw283
New Contributor

The CA, Hunter Warfield, owns the debt, but for some reason I called the Apartment complex today to get an itemized list of what the 1800$ consisted of and this is what I was told.

$20 Reliant

$601.80 cancellation

$50 sheet rock replacement

$100 trash

$175 cleaning

$53.07 water

$12.50 trash

$115 left over from January's rent?

$684.00 

$39.24 for water/trash again

total is $1,851.09.

I also asked the guy when was the date that showed the letter was cancelled.  His response was Dec 3rd 2009.  This really irritated me. This happened to be the same day that I went to go pay the rest of the amount owed to finalize the end to our lease.  When I originally spoke to the girl back on Dec. 3rd 2009, she stated that because the other leasor didn't sign the letter 2-3 days after the original submittal of the letter, the cancellation notice had already been voided. She didn't tell me that she had just voided it , the letter had been submitted back in October of 2009.  I'm not sure if that really amounts to anything at all, but the more and more I find out about this account, the more it upsets me. 

The man I spoke with today gave me the # to the apartments main hq, and I'm considering calling them. I'm not sure if they really can do anything but it's worth a try.

PS: I'm sure this doesn't amount to anything either, but during the time we lived there, one of the gates was broken for a majority of the time we lived there, which was quite annoying.  To my understanding certain things like this can have an effect of getting out of a lease early as well, am I correct?  Is that something even worth mentioning or am I just grasping for straws?

Message 13 of 19
dsw283
New Contributor

So I called yesterday to their corporate offices and explained to some man in their accounts department.  Explained my situation, and he said he would forward the information to the regional manager. I got a call today from the complex manager wanting to discuss it.  Talking about how she couldn't do anything, that this is the monies that I owed, and they were legit charges so they would show up on my CR when they sold the account to the CA.  I thanked her for her time, as I knew she really couldn't do anything, and proceeded to call back to the corporate office.  For some random reason a guy answered calling him self a shortened version of the CEO's name.  So I asked if it was the full CEO's name and he replied yes. Don't know many companies that have their CEO's answer but this he did.

I explained my situation and how I needed this off my CR so I could rent another apartment, which I'm dreading. He said he would have someone look into this, and see what he could do to arrange some type of payment and what he could do to get it off my CR.  

Need some advice on what to do next as I await the return of their phone call.

Message 14 of 19
10kbkb
Valued Member

see if you can a pay a percentage of it. if not then enjoy the payment plan.

Message 15 of 19
dsw283
New Contributor

Any one else have anything to add?

Message 16 of 19
Shokk
Established Contributor

I find it extremely odd that a CEO would be answering the phones.  The problem is, the apartments already sold/charged off the debt.  They can't take payment.  Will they be willing to remove the TL is you show it is paid?  Maybe.  You really need to be working on the CA.  Make sure they validate properly, etc.

I'm just not sure what, if anything, the apartments can do for you at this point.  Unless they agree they did something wrong, or charged you the wrong amount.  If you haven't heard back from them in a couple of days, call again and ask what the status is.

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 17 of 19
dsw283
New Contributor

Thanks, this was the answer I was looking for, the only problem is the collection agency is Hunter Warfield.  To which I haven't seen any success from anyone with their company.  I spoke to someone from Hunter Warfield last month, and they went through the usual spill, which is why I went to the apartment complex.  

Say for some reason they agree they did something wrong, and charged me too much, would they be allowed to re-acquire the account from the CA which in turn would be deleted from my TL?  Or would the amount that I owe the CA just change?  I have a feeling this is going to end up biting me in the rear, and they are going to end up charging me a lot more than what I owe at the moment.

Message 18 of 19
Shokk
Established Contributor

I have no idea how they would resolve something like that.

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.