Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apartment Collections

tag
dsw283
New Contributor

Apartment Collections

So I think I may have stirred up a hornets nest by calling on an apartment collection. I shared a lease with an individual back in 2009, and lost my job about half-way through our lease.  I sent my letter of cancellation to get out of my lease, which was required, pay 2 more months rent, and then pay another half months rent. The day I went to go pay the last half months rent, the front office informed me that they had voided my cancellation notice as the other person on the lease, never signed the cancellation.  I had informed the other person to go sign it, which I'm assuming, he never did. 

Fast forward to today, and here I am. For some reason I called today, to see if I could work out a PFD, as it had worked with another creditor, and the first man I spoke with stated that if I was to pay it today, it would reflect a 0 balance.  Not only that, but that it would only stay on my credit until it was originally assigned to my account. Which it would show it scheduled to go off late 2016.  My exp. CR shows September 2016.  The man transferred me to his boss to see if he could do something, and of course the manager was understanding at first, then informed me that with a payment it would show on my credit 7 years from now.  I asked him why his colleague would tell me otherwise, and he started the "I'm not going to start the he said, she said thing." Told me to talk to a financial advisor to see what to do.  I called the apartment company to see when the last date of payment was, and apparently it was February of 2010, it seems as though the other guy on the lease continued to pay until february and then just left. So that means that the SOL for this wouldn't be until 2014 February.  So here I am, it seems back to square one.  If I pay this in full, will this lower my score, as the collection will update to more recently? or perhaps I should settle?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Apartment Collections

The second person is incorrect.  Payment will not make it stay any longer than the original DoFD.

When was the last time the TL was updated?  If it has been a while, yes, it can lower your score.

Message 2 of 19
dsw283
New Contributor

On a credit report I pulled from experian back in July it shows it has only been reported twice back in Sept, and Aug. of 2010.  I really suck at this credit thing.

Message 3 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Since it has been 3 years, yes, it would more than likely hurt your score when it updated.

Is it the apartment complex reporting or a CA?

Message 4 of 19
dsw283
New Contributor

It is a CA, I'm just about ready to give up on this credit repair stuff as everything I have done so far has really just came back and bit me. 

Message 5 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Have you talked to the CA?  I understood you to say you spoke with the apartments.

Message 6 of 19
dsw283
New Contributor

Fast forward to today, and here I am. For some reason I called today, to see if I could work out a PFD, as it had worked with another creditor, and the first man I spoke with stated that if I was to pay it today, it would reflect a 0 balance.  Not only that, but that it would only stay on my credit until it was originally assigned to my account. Which it would show it scheduled to go off late 2016.  My exp. CR shows September 2016.  The man transferred me to his boss to see if he could do something, and of course the manager was understanding at first, then informed me that with a payment it would show on my credit 7 years from now.  I asked him why his colleague would tell me otherwise, and he started the "I'm not going to start the he said, she said thing." Told me to talk to a financial advisor to see what to do.  I called the apartment company to see when the last date of payment was, and apparently it was February of 2010, it seems as though the other guy on the lease continued to pay until february and then just left. So that means that the SOL for this wouldn't be until 2014 February.  So here I am, it seems back to square one.  If I pay this in full, will this lower my score, as the collection will update to more recently? or perhaps I should settle?

Everything in bold was from the CA. Who is Hunter Warfield.

Message 7 of 19
dsw283
New Contributor

They did offer to settle, so should I try a PFD letter now?

Message 8 of 19
dsw283
New Contributor

More than likely they are not going to do a PFD.  Is a paid in full going to look that much better than a settlement?  I've already been told by 2 apartment complex's that they will not allow me to rent from them with that on my credit report.

Message 9 of 19
jre
Regular Contributor

How much is the debt?

Also, a "Paid in Full" has the same effect on your FICO score as a "Settlement" or "Settled in Full". In other words, no it doesn't matter which route you take if you're trying to improve your score. However, on a manual review it may make a different. The best route to improve your FICO score is to have the collection deleted These companies WANT your money so trust me you should be able to work with them to get a pay for deletion. You may not even need to pay the full balance. You have leverage, i.e. they want your money. Don't show your cards, i.e. you need a place right away or an insistence on a deletion. It's all a game and you have to know how to play it.

Quicksilver x2 | Barclays | Store Cards (more than I need)

Scores: 650s
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.