Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apartment complex collection

tag
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Apartment complex collection

FYI, be careful with apartment complexes - they are notorius for getting a judgment for uncollected amounts. Proceed with your approach to negotiate a PFD, that is the most effective way to handle this - otherwise it turns into a much larger problem. I regularly see other people's credit reports for rentals and this is one of those areas of collection where the apartment complex (especially if they are one of the mega complexes) goes after people like a pit bull. 

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: So I did the PFD and received a call from the CA offering me slightly higher than my offer but still a fair amount ($350). Then I told him to send the letter offering deletion and he said we just mark it as paid. I said no it has to be deleted he then said well that involves lawyers so add $50 and we'll do it. I said no thank you. Should I pay the $400, or follow up with a DV letter to the CRAs?
Message 12 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If they will do a PFD for an additional $50, I would jump on it if removal of the collection is a primary goal.

As for sending a DV, it is likely too late.

A DV must be sent within 30 days of receipt of their initial collection ("dunning") notice to be timely.

However, even if timely, a DV does not set any period within which they must send validation, and does not require any response.

A timely DV imposes  a cease collection bar, and as long as the debt collector does not continue collection activities, they can choose not to send any validation.

You are thus in a state of limbo......

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.