Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App spree success = regrets

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

App spree success = regrets

Hello, Im new here but I've been lurking for the last 6 months of so.

Thanks for eveyone for the wealth of information here.

Started my rebuild back in May of this year. Scores at the time were in the upper 500's.

Had not had any credit cards since I filed  BK 7 about 12 years ago. 7 months ago the only good thing on my reports was an auto loan that I'm now 2 ys into a 4yr loan. 16%

Baddies. 2 unpaid medical collections and 1 paid medical judgement.

Recieved a pre-qual letter in the mail in May for the Cap One GM card. Apped, Approved SL 750. Auto CLI Today to 1250.

In June, I Apped for and was Approved for the Amazon store card, SL 800. Auto CLI last month to 1300.

In Sept. Received pre-qual in the mail for the Citi DC card. Apped, approved SL 800.

After all the reading I've done here, I figured I was all set to garden for at least a year or so. 1 installment loan and 3 credit cards.

And here is where I have regrets, I broke 1 of the rules while rebuilding and that is....Don't app for cards you don't need or can't use.

Last weekend while browsing and reading about rebuilding, I came across the Amex prequal site and decided to see what came up just for the heck of it.

I do know these pre-quals don't mean a whole lot. Just wanted to see what happened. 3 Cards came up I was pre-qualed for so I apped for the BCE card.

Approved. SL 1800. Got the card in the mail yesterday.

I was kind of floored to think I was approved for the Amex BCE this early on.

Scores at this time are in the 630's.

While on this "high" of getting the BCE, I kept going. Went to the Discover pre-qual. The it card came up. Apped and Approved  for the Discover it. SL 2500

Went to the chase pre-qual. 3 cards came up. Apped and Approved for the Freedom card. SL 2500. Got this card in the mail today.

So to recap, I have received these in the last 6 months.

Cap one GM - 1250

Amazon store card - 1300

Citi DC - 800

Amex BCE - 1800

Discover it - 2500

Chase Freedom - 2500

Right now I use the Citi DC the most.

6 cards may not seem like a lot to some people here, but it is to me. I don't think my lifestyle can support this many cards.

I won't put all that much through 1 or 2 cards let alone 6 cards.

But, I really don't want to close any right now. Or do I?  I can see closing the Cap one card maybe the 6 months to a year?, its my oldest card but for me,

the rewards for that card a are worthless.

I think a need to garden for a very long time.Smiley Happy

Will any of these companies close or CLD these cards if used but used very little?

I could use some adivce on how to move forward.

Thanks for reading this long, drawn out post.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: App spree success = regrets

The damage is done, in terms of credit pulls, so there's no sense in closing any of them at this point. One, that much available credit can help with utilization. Two, you're also going to take a hit, in terms of Average Age of Accounts, with all those new accounts, but that damage is done too. 

Here's what I would do. 

Pick the card that offers the most. Be it cash back rewards or some other kind of reward, and use that card exclusively. Put the others in your sock drawer and forget about them. Not sure about companies closing or dropping your limits due to non use, but that's the least of your concerns at this point. Even if they did, the account will age (assuming it's not closed). 

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The damage is done, in terms of credit pulls, so there's no sense in closing any of them at this point. One, that much available credit can help with utilization. Two, you're also going to take a hit, in terms of Average Age of Accounts, with all those new accounts, but that damage is done too. 

Here's what I would do. 

Pick the card that offers the most. Be it cash back rewards or some other kind of reward, and use that card exclusively. Put the others in your sock drawer and forget about them. Not sure about companies closing or dropping your limits due to non use, but that's the least of your concerns at this point. Even if they did, the account will age (assuming it's not closed). 

Thank you jjking54 for the reply and the advice. My AAoA before the last 3 cards was only 8 months. Yeah I messed this up a little bit. Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's done is done ... no need to beat yourself up ... give yourself credit for coming clean on it here Smiley Happy 

Put most of those cards away and do not spend on them. With that many cards you run the risk of losing track of what's on which card, how much is due, when it's due, etc. 

You're fine ... just don't further undo the success you've already had

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again for the advice and the encouragement. I'll do as you say. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think you messed up. You picked up some decent accounts, just garden for 6-12 months and work on CLIs and getting your medical collections removed (search: whychat hipaa). You'll take a hit for new accounts less than 6 months old, but if you keep everything open and decide to apply for new accounts in the future the hit will be much less.

Message 6 of 16
MugenCivicSi83
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think you messed up. You picked up some decent accounts, just garden for 6-12 months and work on CLIs and getting your medical collections removed (search: whychat hipaa). You'll take a hit for new accounts less than 6 months old, but if you keep everything open and decide to apply for new accounts in the future the hit will be much less.

I second this mryflyguy. You didn't mess up. IMO, credit is something you build over a long period of time. If you do your due diligence to track your spending habits, it would be very beneficial to you. DO NOT use credit cards to finance purchases you would normally not purchase, and don't have reserve cash for. The ONLY time you spend big amounts on a credit card is for the rewards AND ONLY if you were going to buy that item in cash to begin with. As soon as you buy big items that you have the cash for with a credit card, immediately go in and pay the credit card off with the cash from your debit card/bank. I can also suggest that you keep track of all your spending on an excel file. If you need help doing this, please contact me. I am an excel Super User Guru. I can build you a system to track your spending more easily so it doesn't seem so burdensome. Congrats on building your credit. You can do this! Get rid of those collections. If they're older, find the CA's and see if they have an online account where you can pay. Best idea is to PIF. sometimes they will just drop completely off your report depending. send us the CA's info and we can tell you if those specific CA's are likely to drop them off of your report once PIF'd. 

FICO 8 Scores: EX 706 (11/3/2016) EQ 696 (11/17/16) TU 708 (11/17/2016)

"Use your Credit wisely, don't let it use you!"~Me Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for the replies and offers of help.

As far as the medical collections go:

The name of one of the CA's is:

Automated Accounts Management Services LLC

The amount is $200

This one is due to fall off 12/16. So I should hold off on that one for now?

They had not updated this collection since 2011 until last month.

Not only did they update it last month, they added an exact duplicate of the colletion and changed the DOFD on the duplicate.

The dup is showing not to fall off until 1/2017.

And of course, this 1 collection is showing as 2 seperate collections.

The other medical collection CA:

THE CBE GROUP

The amount is $25

It was placed on my report 1/15 and has been updated just one time and that was last month.

This one is not to come off my reports until 2/2022

I have called them 2 times in the last 6 months to try a PFD, but they say they won't do it.

I have looked into the whychat hipaa, but could not quite understand where to even begin. Kind of confusing. I will take another look.

Quick edit:

The medical collection from Automated Accounts Management Services LLC for $200 is only showing on my Transunion report.

It has already been removed from the other 2 credit bureau's

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't close any of them.  Use one or two exlusively like have been, and make it a point to do something once every 6 months on the others.  You'll never have any problems.

Best part is, you are building them all at once (I did basically the same thing about 2 months ago, jumped from 3 to 6) so you're getting all those accounts and affecting AAoA all at once but that means it'll be stronger when you get a seventh (er, eighth counting the car loan) account down the line and affect you less.

Grow the accounts you have; Discover is a great one to grow with you and Amex as well (at your 61st day try for a 3x CLI get that baby up to $5,400!).  Get in the garden and don't app for anything else, you only need to use them once or twice a year to keep them active otherwise they're helping you just by having them.  You're in good shape.  You somehow beat the 5/24 rule with Chase, and not to mention free TU FICO8 from Discover and free EX FICO8 from Amex.

Message 9 of 16
MugenCivicSi83
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you all for the replies and offers of help.

As far as the medical collections go:

The name of one of the CA's is:

Automated Accounts Management Services LLC

The amount is $200

This one is due to fall off 12/16. So I should hold off on that one for now?

They had not updated this collection since 2011 until last month.

Not only did they update it last month, they added an exact duplicate of the colletion and changed the DOFD on the duplicate.

The dup is showing not to fall off until 1/2017.

And of course, this 1 collection is showing as 2 seperate collections.

The other medical collection CA:

THE CBE GROUP

The amount is $25

It was placed on my report 1/15 and has been updated just one time and that was last month.

This one is not to come off my reports until 2/2022

I have called them 2 times in the last 6 months to try a PFD, but they say they won't do it.

I have looked into the whychat hipaa, but could not quite understand where to even begin. Kind of confusing. I will take another look.

Quick edit:

The medical collection from Automated Accounts Management Services LLC for $200 is only showing on my Transunion report.

It has already been removed from the other 2 credit bureau's

I'm not familiar with either of the CA's above but persistence is something that has paid off for some individuals. Examples below.

PFD Example:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/CBE-Group-PFD/m-p/4265198#M446551

GW Example: With this example, you would need to pay off the debt and then attempt a Goodwill deletion.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/CBE-GW-Success/m-p/3949195#M410427

Websites to Pay the CA's:

Automated Accounts Management

CBE Group

I just paid 2 'Medical Collections' for $47 and $111 and they are still on my report but not effecting my CS as much because I just app'd for many cards and was approved for all of them. See my cards below. Old Collections as long as they show paid don't sting as much as old collections that aren't paid. it took me a month. i paid them off last month and tried app'ing but declined by chase, then they reported as paid and I was approved for all my app's.

FICO 8 Scores: EX 706 (11/3/2016) EQ 696 (11/17/16) TU 708 (11/17/2016)

"Use your Credit wisely, don't let it use you!"~Me Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.