cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for another credit card prior to getting auto loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apply for another credit card prior to getting auto loan?

I will be applying for an auto loan through my credit union that. Scores at this time are all in the 670s. Will opening another credit card help or hurt my score prior to applying for the auto loan?

I have a mortgage, one credit card with major bank and a Sears card.

Was thinking another line of credit might give a little bump but didn't know if the hard inquiry would do more damage.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apply for another credit card prior to getting auto loan?

When its first reports as a new account it *may* drop your score slightly, but if you let it age a few months you should be fine. If you're going to app for the auto loan very soon I would wait.

Message 2 of 5
buildafico
Frequent Contributor

I would wait if the credit card is not important to you, there's no point in jepordizing an auto loan over a credit card. 

some textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome text>some text
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think it would jepordized the loan, but it could potentially cost some interest if his scores are straddling a breakpoint, such as 620/680/720/

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only thing you could do is obtain an AU account with great payment history and some length on it, other than that, wait or see if you can get a CLI on your current credit card preferably without an HP. Good luck
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.