groomershears

Applying for CCs in this economy?

OK so here I am, my scores are finally decent enough (I hope) to apply for a CC...my goal is to get my scores above 700 (a year and a half ago they were in the high 500's/low 600's).  Now Tu 675, Ex 695 and Eq 745.  I have a car loan now for three months, paid on time SCRUPULOUSLY....I am working on getting two old (2002) and paid medical collections deleted using the Hippa process. Now I think I need to apply for a CC or a store card to help  my score.  What do you think?  Which is easier to get and which will help my score more?  I hate to apply for something now and get a hard pull on my report and not be approved!  Do you think I should wait a couple of months until everything in the banks and wall street settles down?  Just go for a store card?  Any advice is much appreciated!! 
Regular Contributor
rebuilder

Re: Applying for CCs in this economy?

groomershears wrote:
OK so here I am, my scores are finally decent enough (I hope) to apply for a CC...my goal is to get my scores above 700 (a year and a half ago they were in the high 500's/low 600's).  Now Tu 675, Ex 695 and Eq 745.  I have a car loan now for three months, paid on time SCRUPULOUSLY....I am working on getting two old (2002) and paid medical collections deleted using the Hippa process. Now I think I need to apply for a CC or a store card to help  my score.  What do you think?  Which is easier to get and which will help my score more?  I hate to apply for something now and get a hard pull on my report and not be approved!  Do you think I should wait a couple of months until everything in the banks and wall street settles down?  Just go for a store card?  Any advice is much appreciated!! 

I think you'd have pretty good chances with your EQ score.  Find a CCC that is tolerant of baddies and that pulls EQ (sorry I don't know a specific one to recommend).
Moderator Emeritus
fused

Re: Applying for CCs in this economy?

YMMV, but CITI is a big EQ puller.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+