Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for new credit.

tag
Jane_O
New Contributor

Applying for new credit.

Hi Everyone,

I have been on this site for about 4 months and have managed to bring up my credit score about 110 points! I finally qualified for my mortgage and they ran my credit yesterday resulting in an inquiry. I have two old inquiries coming of on 04/13/2013 and 05/07/2013, so i'm hoping it will be a wash. I got a scorewatch alert and the inquiry did not cause a decrease in my score.

My question is, is this the time to apply for credit? I want to apply for a home depot, lowes and furniture store card. Woudl this dramatically drop my score? Or is it ok to do if i do it in a specific window of time?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Primevci
New Contributor

Re: Applying for new credit.

Are you trying to buy a house?

Starting Score: EQ:539/TU:569 3/24/13
Current Score: EQ:552/TU:569
Goal Score: EQ:640/TU:640

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 8
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

I would hold off on applying for anything if you are in the midst of the mortgage process.

Message 3 of 8
Jane_O
New Contributor

Yes, I am buying a house. He told me he only needed to run my credit one time.

Message 4 of 8
blk8
Regular Contributor

@Jane_O wrote:

Yes, I am buying a house. He told me he only needed to run my credit one time.

I wouldn't do a thing until you have the keys to your new house in hand. There are many scenarios that could cause them to pull another report.

FICO: EX 662 | EQ 670 | TU 681
Message 5 of 8
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

There are sometimes cases where they need to pull again, despite what the loan officer says. (I'm assuming this is LO you've spoken with.) I would wait if at all possible; you don't want to be surprised with anything.

Message 6 of 8
Jane_O
New Contributor

Ok, perfect! thank you!

Message 7 of 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Very very very good advise everyone!!!!!! Makes me and I'm sure guiness and the mods very happy to see great advise....brb I need to wipe the tears of joy from my face and grab a cold one!!!!!! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.