Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approvals with state tax liens?

tag
diva_1515
Valued Member

Approvals with state tax liens?

I was wondering if anyone has been approved for credit cards or loans with a state tax lien on their CR's? The only thing I have on my CR's are two tax liens on my Transunion and Equifax reports they are listed as paid, Experian would not change status to paid. Also 2 student loans that have never been late, open since 2010.

I keep getting denials.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
electra
Established Contributor

Re: Approvals with state tax liens?

If you are able to get in with Navy Federal Credit Union they are friendly to folks with liens and lower credit.  I was approved for a VISA Siggy of $5k with a FICO of 584 and 6 tax liens, some paid, some unpaid.   That was 7 months ago.  I still have 3 tax liens showing (paid) and just got bumped up to $25k on my VISA siggy.

BTW:  EX MUST update your lien to paid if it's paid. Don't stand for that BS.

Message 2 of 12
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

@electra wrote:

BTW:  EX MUST update your lien to paid if it's paid. Don't stand for that BS.

+1. If they're dragging their feet, you could get a lien release letter from your state. They must update it to paid after that.

Message 3 of 12
RTOrockstar
Frequent Contributor

I've got a paid state tax lien that's about 2 years old and I've gotten approved for 2 car loans and several credit cards. I'm still no where near where I want to be, but getting there.

Time and good payment history will lessen the impact of your state tax liens. You'll get to where you want to be.

Message 4 of 12
diva_1515
Valued Member

Experian has been giving me grief since I started rebuilding. I will try again to get them to update ugh.

Message 5 of 12
diva_1515
Valued Member

Thank you for all of the replies everyone Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@ctaylor09 wrote:

I was wondering if anyone has been approved for credit cards or loans with a state tax lien on their CR's? The only thing I have on my CR's are two tax liens on my Transunion and Equifax reports they are listed as paid, Experian would not change status to paid. Also 2 student loans that have never been late, open since 2010.

I keep getting denials.

Why won't they change it to paid?

Message 7 of 12
electra
Established Contributor

As another point of reference I just got approved today for a $40k auto loan at 1.79% from NFCU with 3 old paid/released state tax liens and one not-as old paid/released IRS lien (it's been withdrawn but still on TU).

Message 8 of 12
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

NFCU is tightening up a bit.  I've heard of two recent denials due to public record.  Try to get those marked as PAID, that should make a difference.

Message 9 of 12
ando35
Frequent Contributor

I got approved for an auto loan at 10% with a lien.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.