Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approvals with tax liens?

tag
diva_1515
Valued Member

Approvals with tax liens?

Has anyone been approved for loans/cards with paid state tax liens? I have a 647 FICO and I have been denied for everything I have applied for. I  have 2 state liens paid and released. Only one CB was willing to update my report saying the liens have been released. I have 12 INQ's which i know is really bad. I am not going to apply for anything for 6 months-a year....or should i just wait until my liens fall off of my reports?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Re: Approvals with tax liens?

When do the liens fall off? If it is more than a year, I would try to get them removed. Now that they are paid and released you should work on trying to get them withdrawn. Some states will withdrawl them if they are paid and released. It is worth a try. 

I was approved for Capital One $500 and 1k....I had a state tax lien (MD) and Federal tax lien....my scores were mid 500s.

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 8
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

I recommend getting a couple of secured credit cards with small $ amounts, using them for at least six month while not applying for any additional credit. With six monts of ontime payments and good utilization, then try for unsecured cards. I have a secured cc with a local credit union. I went to them a couple of days ago and asked if the cards will graduate to unsecured cards. They told me no ... but that they will consider issuing me unsecured cc after 6 to 12 months of ontime payments. If you are currently banking with a mega bank and they turned you down, fire them. Take you business to a credit union.

Message 3 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I currently have a paid/released state tax lien from CA reporting on my EX only. Unfortunately, they do not withdraw state liens in CA. It's was paid/released in Nov 2007 and I haven't had any problems with approvals.
Message 4 of 8
scorpiostinger07
Regular Contributor

I have a Paid released federal tax lien and have only had one issue and that was Discover card.

Starting Score: 433
Current Score: 700
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Definitely a YMMV, Discover approved me earlier this year and I received two CLI's!
Message 6 of 8
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
I currently have a paid/released state tax lien from CA reporting on my EX only. Unfortunately, they do not withdraw state liens in CA. It's was paid/released in Nov 2007 and I haven't had any problems with approvals.

Try contacting the State Comptroller, kind of a goodwill. It took me a few months, but I was able to get them  to withdrawl the lien after e-mailing the comptroller. I found his e-mail address on the state web site. Maybe you could do the same?

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.