cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Discover It! & Secured BofA card unsecured and PC'd to a Travel Rewards

tag
One7
Valued Contributor

Approved for Discover It! & Secured BofA card unsecured and PC'd to a Travel Rewards

So just over a year ago in February 2013 I decided to finally put my credit back together and start rebuilding. Wasn't easy I had many derogatory accounts and all 3 of my scores were below 600. Mid 500s for that matter... now a year later all 3 of my scores are just over 700 now! I worked hard and paid all my collection accounts off and had most of them removed while the others I watched painstakingly as they eventually fell off (all my problems were around 7 years ago). I got three secured cards and a few store cards and even a small loan from my credit union to get a good credit mix. Since then, and recently I've finally entered Prime territory. Barclays (semi prime) gave me their Rewards card first and since then I've been approved by Chase Freedom then Discover and this morning I had my secured card unsecured and my deposit refunded. I immediately called BofA and asked if I could convert it to their Travel Rewards card with the chip and they instantly approved me and even raised my CL from $300 to $1800 all with keeping the same credit history! Sorry for the rant but I'm super stoked, considering where I was a year ago today. So it is possible with hard work and patience. Smiley Happy
EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
NWintellectual
Regular Contributor

Re: Approved for Discover It! & Secured BofA card unsecured and PC'd to a Travel Rewards

Congratulations. That story is music to my ears. I am just now starting to pick up the pieces from the mid 500s and hope to get into Discover territory some time next year.

Starting Score (2/15/14): TU 533 (myFICO) | EQ 509 (myFICO)
Latest score (4/5/14): TU 541 (Lender) | EQ 562 (SW) | EX 576 (myFICO)
Goal Score by 9/30/14: 620+ | Goal Score by 6/30/15: 700+
-----
My wallet:
US Bank LanPass Secured $500 | US Bank HD Secured $300 | Fingerhut $200 | Local CU $1000
Message 2 of 12
One7
Valued Contributor

Re: Approved for Discover It! & Secured BofA card unsecured and PC'd to a Travel Rewards

Thank you and I hope it motivates people and shows them it is possible. I know a year seems like forever when it comes to improving your credit but it does get better. I was in your shoes a year ago and I read so many positive stories that motivated me. It was very frustrating,  I read the forums every night and seemed to check my credit scored every second I had. I even constantly went to pre approval links at Chase, Discover, Cap 1, Barclays and every where possible to get a better card (without getting an inquiry) weekly and sometimes daily. I was kind of obsessed but it paid off. Barclays eventually went from 'we couldn't find a pre approved offer' to 'you've been pre approved' and I jumped for joy! Then two months later Chase did the same and I got the Freedom card I've always wanted! Then finally 2 weeks ago Discover as well! Just keep at it and it'll happen to you too! My next card I want is an Amex but they longer have a pre approval link. I'm going to give it a few months and pull the trigger on their gold charge card. Good luck and just be patient and make sure not to have any late payments. Your credit WILL get better. Thanks for listening Smiley Happy

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 3 of 12
alvon123
Super Contributor

Well done, keep up the good work!!

Message 4 of 12
baller4life
Super Contributor

Congrats!! Great job!!

Message 5 of 12
couponcrazy

Congrats your story has been very motivational for me this morning!!!!! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 12
cflowers0115
Regular Contributor

Congrats, OP!

Starting Scores: 8/13/18: EQ: 556 TU: 521 EX: 544
Message 7 of 12
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

Outstanding!
Message 8 of 12
mebell
Regular Contributor

Congrats on the graduation from secured cards and the new cards and credit improvement!

Starting Score: TU 629 6/2013
Current Score: TU 697 (March'14) EQ 688 (April'14) EX 693 (March '14)
Goal Score: 700

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 12
One7
Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone! Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.