cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are 6 month loans good for credit increase

tag

Are 6 month loans good for credit increase

I just got a 7 month loan, and now am worried if i took a hit for no reason. Also, does anyone know how to dispute addresses, i hear its a good way to get items removed.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Erusidhion
Frequent Contributor

Re: Are 6 month loans good for credit increase

It is not a bad thing at all. Will you be dinged for the inquiry? Sure but it really is miniscule and is has no weight after 12 months, and falls off of your credit report at 24 months. A 7 month loan is short term and I did the same thing but for 6 months to at least have a 'mix' of credit. You by no means need an installment loan to ever hit 850 as others on the forums have hit it without one. If anything the installment loan proves to the company you took the loan from that you can make on time payments. They may give you better loans down the road so you're building a relationship.

Once my 6 month installment is paid off, I will be taking out another installment loan myself with a 24 month term. Your credit report shows the last 24 months payments and no more so a 24 month loan make the most sense overall. A lot of stuff happens at the 24 month mark, not a new account anymore, the inquiry for the loan falls off; among a couple other things.

In the end I think you don't /need/ a loan but if you have a local bank or credit union you like, taking one out will build a relationship. If you do take one out after this one, do one for 24 months preferably if you want the best return for paying the interest.

EQ 654 -- 43 Inquiries
TU 695 -- 54 Inquiries
EX 668 -- 50 Inquiries

Utilization: 9% AAoA: 20 months Total History: 3Y
Updated: 08/04/2017 Premier 3B
Message 2 of 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Are 6 month loans good for credit increase

@Freshstart2015 wrote:
I just got a 7 month loan, and now am worried if i took a hit for no reason. Also, does anyone know how to dispute addresses, i hear its a good way to get items removed.

If you have other installment loans such as auto, student loans, mortgage then you dont need it, you always get more bang with revolving cards than you do with installment loans. Installments are not good for very many points on the positive side but are great for lots of points lost if you default. Since you already have the loan ok but I would not do this again just for Fico purposes. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.