cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are CC's open-ended accounts or written contracts?

tag
E16
Established Member

Are CC's open-ended accounts or written contracts?

The SoL in my state is 3 years for open-ended accounts and 6 years for written contracts.  I have two charged off CC's (5 years in that status) that I need to get taken off of my CR.  I'd like to make sure I'm outside of the SoL before sending any PFD's...don't wanna wake the monsters.  After doing some research, some people say the courts consider CC's to be written contracts but others say CC's are open-ended accounts.  Any input??  Should I post this in the CC section?  Thanks a bunch!!

Starting Score: As of 2/17/12 - TU(FICO) 602; EQ (FICO) 596
Current Score: As of 3/31/12 TU(FICO) 644; EQ (FICO) 628 SW
Goal Score: 700+ TU&EQ

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Are CC's open-ended accounts or written contracts?

@E16 wrote:

The SoL in my state is 3 years for open-ended accounts and 6 years for written contracts.  I have two charged off CC's (5 years in that status) that I need to get taken off of my CR.  I'd like to make sure I'm outside of the SoL before sending any PFD's...don't wanna wake the monsters.  After doing some research, some people say the courts consider CC's to be written contracts but others say CC's are open-ended accounts.  Any input??  Should I post this in the CC section?  Thanks a bunch!!

Credit cards are exactly what an "open account" refers to.  They are open because you can continue adding spending to them.  A written contract would be something you signed for a one time loan or service and agreed to pay a certain amount or certain payment plan (ie student loan, mortgage, auto loan, personal loan, etc).

Message 2 of 9
themeggerz
New Contributor

Be aware, though, a LOT of credit unions have all their personal and installment loans as "open end" because CUNA allows us to add on to loans up to our own lending requirements.  

SCORES (2/2013): EX 795 TU 717 EXP 726
Goal: 800+ and Gardening

Wallet: NavyFed 15k AMEX BCE 2k Discover 3k BOA 5k
CapitalOne 2250 HSBC RZM 950 Best Buy SC 2900
GEMB/Paypal 3700 Merrick Bank 1k Zales 2k Barclays 1300 GEMB/AJMadison 3600 Walmart 800 VS 500 NY&CO 400
Message 3 of 9
aerochick31093
Valued Member

Make sure that in your state that credit cards are considered open-ended accounts. In Georgia they are not, they are considered written contracts.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@aerochick31093 wrote:

Make sure that in your state that credit cards are considered open-ended accounts. In Georgia they are not, they are considered written contracts.

Interesting.  What does Georgia consider an open-ended account then?

Message 5 of 9
aerochick31093
Valued Member

You got me!  There was a case in 2008, Hill vs American Express http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ga-court-of-appeals/1131402.html  Hill was sued and stated the SOL had passed which was 4 years for credit cards and the judge did not agree and said it was 6 years and a simple contract.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@aerochick31093 wrote:

You got me!  There was a case in 2008, Hill vs American Express http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ga-court-of-appeals/1131402.html  Hill was sued and stated the SOL had passed which was 4 years for credit cards and the judge did not agree and said it was 6 years and a simple contract.

Wow, who am I to question a judge and appellate judge, but that just seems really odd to me.  I would think it would seem obvious that the open-ended SOL was meant for credit cards if there is nothing else it goes to.  That certainly sucks for Georgia.

Message 7 of 9
E16
Established Member

Well that's the thing, the law is so vague.  It gives the court system so much room to self interpret it.  I can't seem to grasp how a credit card could be a written contract.  I recall applying online without signing any contracts.  Plus, I would think, CC terms change every time we use it and or pay the bill, depending on how much is used or paid.  Credit cards can be open forever or it can be closed at any time.  Does not seem like a written contract to me.  I'll do a little more research or even contact the AGO.  I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by sending PFD's.  

Starting Score: As of 2/17/12 - TU(FICO) 602; EQ (FICO) 596
Current Score: As of 3/31/12 TU(FICO) 644; EQ (FICO) 628 SW
Goal Score: 700+ TU&EQ

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Credit cards are almost always considered open accounts.   The exception in GA is the only reference that I have ever seen where they were considered to be a written contract, so unless you are in GA I would go with the SOL for open accounts.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.