cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Some Types of Inquiries Worse Than Others?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are Some Types of Inquiries Worse Than Others?

I have managed to get about 10 inquiries on my Equifax and 6 on my TransUnion file.  I joined a credit union because I knew I would be applying for a car loan a few months after opening the account.  They ran my credit again at the time I bought the car. I also have inquiries from  the 3 revolving accounts I have now. I have one from Quicken Loans I was given misinformation about what credit score I needed so I applied. The other inquiries have been in regards to a move with credit being check for apartment, satellite and internet companies. 

Do creditors count the utility ones or is it considered routine.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Are Some Types of Inquiries Worse Than Others?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have managed to get about 10 inquiries on my Equifax and 6 on my TransUnion file.  I joined a credit union because I knew I would be applying for a car loan a few months after opening the account.  They ran my credit again at the time I bought the car. I also have inquiries from  the 3 revolving accounts I have now. I have one from Quicken Loans I was given misinformation about what credit score I needed so I applied. The other inquiries have been in regards to a move with credit being check for apartment, satellite and internet companies. 

Do creditors count the utility ones or is it considered routine.

From a scoring standpoint, all are equal, but certain ones, like auto and mortgage, will allow for "rate shopping" and multiple inquiries will be scored as one if they fall within a two week period.

As for creditors looking at a file, each one is going to have their own specific criteria they look for.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.