cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are collectors required to notify you that they're going to report?

tag
jedifrogman2
Valued Member

Are collectors required to notify you that they're going to report?

I was recently denied an auto loan and upon looking at my report, I noticed that Allied Collection Service reported me for an old Sprint bill. I went to the Sprint store and was told that my account was "in the process of getting charged off" but it was still able to be saved.  So I paid the bill and got my account restored. About a couple weeks later I noticed that my score dropped due to the account being sent to collections.  I never received any notification from Allied Collections about this, nor did I receive any warning for them reporting.

Are they required by law to warn you of reporting?  Can I request that they remove the mark? If so, how can I make that request?

Starting FICO 10-2012: EX 427, TU 483
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Are collectors required to notify you that they're going to report?

Welcome to the forums.

No, there is no requirement for prior notifications.

I am a little confused.  Did you pay Sprint before or after the CA showed up on your CR?

At first it seems the collections was already there during the auto loan denial but then you said the scored dropped a few weeks later.

Message 2 of 5
jedifrogman2
Valued Member

I paid them on October 20 last year.  A couple weeks later I got the Score Watch notification saying the collection was added.  The SW entry says August but I never received anything from them.  The auto loan I applied for was 3 weeks ago and that kind of lit a fire to get things cleaned up as best I could.

Message 3 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You need to find out if the CA acquired the debt before or after you paid Sprint.  If it was after that is wrong.

What is the date opened on the CA account on your CR?

Message 4 of 5
jedifrogman2
Valued Member

Equifax shows the following:

DFD: 6/2012

Date assigned: 8/2012

Report date: 10/2012

I suppose it's possible that it was reported a week before I paid it...the CR doesn't give the date of month. I just spent the last 20 minutes searching my computer for the other two from November's Annual Credit Report, but didn't have much luck.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.