cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are creditors required to report to CRAs?

tag
jmc912
Valued Member

Are creditors required to report to CRAs?

I know that it states if creditors report they have to report ACCURATE information, but I did not think they were required to report information at all...

I have been trying to get a child support order to stop reporting on my husbands credit, back in 2009 he was in arrears because they didn't notify him of the order. It's been paid in full since the day he got the letter saying I was in arrears. Their website makes it sound like credit reporting is a temporary punishment for those who are in arrears. They came back and said: 

"Here is a an overview of credit reporting;  Once you owe more than $1,000.00 it is reported and it is reported until it is brought down to $0.  It still does not come off of your credit report for some credit reporting agencies for 7 years just like a home loan/debt or car loan/debt.  It will be listed as paid or satisfied but it doesn’t come off for many years.  That is their law and the way they do things not the State of CT Bureau of Child Support Enforcement.  Once you became delinquent over $1000 the credit agencies start counting days, once you get over 180 days they stop counting.  Right now as I can see, due to the extra payment you are no longer delinquent."

Anyways, is there anything in the FCRA or the FDCPA that I can send back to her showing that they aren't required to report? Or does anyone have any expertise about getting a child support account removed?

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Re: Are creditors required to report to CRAs?

@jmc912 wrote:

I know that it states if creditors report they have to report ACCURATE information, but I did not think they were required to report information at all...

I have been trying to get a child support order to stop reporting on my husbands credit, back in 2009 he was in arrears because they didn't notify him of the order. It's been paid in full since the day he got the letter saying I was in arrears. Their website makes it sound like credit reporting is a temporary punishment for those who are in arrears. They came back and said: 

"Here is a an overview of credit reporting;  Once you owe more than $1,000.00 it is reported and it is reported until it is brought down to $0.  It still does not come off of your credit report for some credit reporting agencies for 7 years just like a home loan/debt or car loan/debt.  It will be listed as paid or satisfied but it doesn’t come off for many years.  That is their law and the way they do things not the State of CT Bureau of Child Support Enforcement.  Once you became delinquent over $1000 the credit agencies start counting days, once you get over 180 days they stop counting.  Right now as I can see, due to the extra payment you are no longer delinquent."

Anyways, is there anything in the FCRA or the FDCPA that I can send back to her showing that they aren't required to report? Or does anyone have any expertise about getting a child support account removed?

Thanks! 

No, they're not required. But child support tradelines are really REALLY difficult to get removed. It's like any goodwill letter - they don't have to say yes. Accurate information might be the best-case scenario here.

Message 2 of 3
jmc912
Valued Member

Re: Are creditors required to report to CRAs?

Great!! 

Of course she said they would stop reporting since he hasn't been in arrears in forever.... But now she's stopping reporting a consistent payment and  now just the old bad stuff is there... Will probably hurt him even more! 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.