cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask for PFD from OC after accepting settlement?

tag
RoundAbout
Established Member

Ask for PFD from OC after accepting settlement?

Before I found these forums I accepted a settlement offer from the OC (medical office). The doctor's office accepted the payment and reported it to the CA as settled.

Is it worth my time to persue asking the OC for a PFD for the other half of the payment? If the OC is accepting payments, does this mean they likely are able to retract the debt from the CA?

Thanks for any insight!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
sge760
Contributor

Re: Ask for PFD from OC after accepting settlement?

Message 2 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@sge760 wrote:

Only the collection agency is listing this account on your credit report, right? (Not the original creditor which is the medical office)

If this is the case, I would try to write the collection agency a letter or fax them, reminding them the debt has been satisfied and request they delete it off your file.  When Ive had to deal with them, if they couldn't collect anything from me they were cooperative.

If this were me, I'd request the collection agency delete the reporting because the debt has been satisfied. If that didn't work, I'd just dispute it with the credit bureaus. Since it's a $0 balance I doubt the collection agency will put up a fight.

Paying money would be my last resort. 

Only information you believe to be incorrect should be disputed.

Message 3 of 6
icanimprove
Established Member

OP, in my opinion first you should try  send a GW letter to the CA requesting deletion.

In regards to obtaining a PFD from the OC its is worth a try but they may not be able to pull the account back from the CA. if the OC is able to accept payment this does not mean that they are able to retract the reporting of the CA. You can certainly call the OC and see what they can do to help you and get the CA removed from your CR.  

Best of luck!

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the debt was satisfied, regardless of the amount they accepted as satisfaction of the debt, there is no longer any debt to offer payment upon.

So a PFD is not appropriate.

What you would, in fact, be asking is that the OC accept a fee for deleting accurate information.   Not something I would advocate.

If the OC were to accept a fee for deletion, they could only delete their own reporting, not that of the debt collector.

You would need to send a separate bribe to the debt collector.

Message 5 of 6
RoundAbout
Established Member

That makes sense. I don't plan on disputing as that seems inappropriate as it's already marked as "Paid".

I'll see if the collection agency is willing to negotiate. It's my understanding the initial settlement went to the doctor's office and they just told the CA to update as a settled payment but didn't actually receive money. I'm hoping if I offer money where they didn't expect to receive any, they'll relent.

Thanks for the answers.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.