Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aspire Visa "Date of First Delinquency" Clarification

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aspire Visa "Date of First Delinquency" Clarification

I was finally able to obtain my records of an old Aspire Visa account that went bad years ago. 

This was the credit card from hell and it was my first credit card.

I am having a hard time finding the "date of first delinquency" because the after June 1st, 2002 all of the descriptions of items  are things like "Late Payment Fee", "Purchase *finance charge*", Return NSF (Non Sufficient funds), Late Charges, etc. etc.

I have late payment charges going back to December of 2000, is this the date of first deliquency?

The account eventually closed in March of 2004 with basically 2 years of finance charges and no new purchases.  

On June 27th 2002, there is something called a "reclassification" with -$1,186.64 charge, everything after that is late fee's finance charges, overlimit Fee's etc. 

Do I go by my first late payment of 30 days late or what is the rule of thumb in determining this?

Experian has taken this off my report but the others TU and EQ said I need to validate this date before they remove it. 

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
bicknar
Regular Contributor

Re: Aspire Visa "Date of First Delinquency" Clarification

From how I understand it its the date from the first late from which the account never recovered.  Did you pull your credit report?  Did it list when it should drop off or the DOFD?  Is it different from your first late payment?  If the account was closed in 04 it should be getting near the end of it's reporting cycle.  so 1.5 years left worst case.  So if you can't get them to budge at least you have that.

Starting Score: 556
Current Score: 672
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I have been pulling all three of my credit reports regularly not only here but from a few others to get some different information. The Original Creditor, Aspire Visa, actually has not been on my credit report for years, however Midland Funding, a Debt Collection Agency, has been misreporting this date to their advantage.

Experian has removed the debt off my report, but TU and EQ have not.

So what if you made a payment during times of 30 days late and 60 days late does that reset the date?

Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

DOFD is the date you first went late and never recovered again which resulted in TL being CO'd, going into collections, etc.

If you pull your report directly from EQ, you should see DOFD listed. On TU and EX if you pull from their websites, DOFD isn't listed but a drop off date often is in lieu of that. To find DOFD on TU or EX, subtract 7 yrs from the drop off date to come up with DOFD.

To come up with DOFD from your own records, look at the bill. DOFD is when the first late appeared. Assuming you never brought the account current and stopped gettin ghit with late fees, DOFD begins when you experience that first late fee.

If any TL (or associated CA) is reporting a DOFD that is wrong, and you can prove it, then you can dispute with the CRAs with that proof. A re-aged DOFD can impact SOL and reporting time periods.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.