Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asset Acceptance help

tag
WRodPSL
Valued Member

Asset Acceptance help

Asset Acceptance sends me a settlement offer on a utilities bill every month or two. Out of boredom I decided to read this month's offer. There's a small disclosure at the bottom of the letter about federal law, complaining to the FTC, blah blah blah. I'm sure all the wording is due to their FTC settlement. The last line caught my attention, "The law limits how long you can be sued on a debt. Because of the age of your debt, we will not sue you for it."  They are reporting on my reports with a DOFD of 7/07, which I know is incorrect and is currently in dispute with the CRA's. SOL in NJ is six years, which is why I've been letting sleeping dogs lie. After reading their admittance that they will not sue, is it safe to assume I can now go full steam ahead against them without worrying about SOL? If I do get their attention and I do happen to be in SOL (I'm not sure if I am, I just know that DOFD is not as recent as 7/07), can they change their mind about suing after disclosing that they will not sue? They are reporting many inaccuracies and I'm ready to file complaints everywhere I can as long as I'm sure that they can no longer sue. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Asset Acceptance help

Could you pay in full if you had to?

Message 2 of 9
WRodPSL
Valued Member

@llecs wrote:

Could you pay in full if you had to?

If I had to, yes.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent them letter after letter after letter asking for a pfd.   I noted that I never recieved debt validation and offered full payment for it being removed from my report.  I got the we don't do that blah blah...finally I sent a certified pfd letter directly to the president or CEO, I just googled it.  Two days later, it was gone from all my reports and I never heard anything else about it.  It hasn't ever shown back up...worth a try?

Message 4 of 9
WRodPSL
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

I sent them letter after letter after letter asking for a pfd.   I noted that I never recieved debt validation and offered full payment for it being removed from my report.  I got the we don't do that blah blah...finally I sent a certified pfd letter directly to the president or CEO, I just googled it.  Two days later, it was gone from all my reports and I never heard anything else about it.  It hasn't ever shown back up...worth a try?

That's definitely worth a try. I just got this from the FTC website.

"The proposed settlement requires that when Asset Acceptance knows or should know debt may not be legally enforceable under state law – often referred to as "time-barred" debt – it must disclose to the consumer that it will not sue on the debt and, if true, that it may report nonpayment to the credit reporting agencies. Once it has made that disclosure, it may not sue the consumer, even if the consumer makes a partial payment that otherwise would make the debt no longer time-barred."

If my disputes come back with the inaccuracies verified, I'm going to proceed with BBB, FTC and AG complaints. Since AA disclosed that they will not sue me, it sounds like the FTC has my back and they really can't sue me.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may want to put that in a letter to them too...may get them to back off.  My advice is to contact the President or at least put attn the president of the company on it.  I can't tell you how many other times I contacted the company w/ no success.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats weird my dh got one this month and it doesn't state anything about not being sued on his acct
Message 7 of 9
proudnavymom
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you PM me the information?  I paid a settlement, but they refuse to delete.  Thanks!

Starting Scores TU 7/30/09 FICO 493 EQ 9/5/10 FICO 477 EX 11/14/2011 (lender pull) 575
Current Scores TU 10/19/2018 FICO 671 EQ 12/21/2018 FICO 614 EX 5/31/2014 FICO 658
Goal Scores 700 across the board
Message 8 of 9
poohda23
New Contributor

Can you PM me the information also?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.