Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asset Acceptance is coming back! :-(

tag
lavencedora
Frequent Contributor

Asset Acceptance is coming back! :-(

So, I've been in a big battle trying to get Asset Acceptance off of my report. After putting in a CFPB complaint, I first got a response that they needed more time. Then, after about 40 days of the dispute being filed, their TL was off all three reports. I was rejoicing. They'd taken a long time with my complaint (which I believe is legitimate & had back up docs), so they had realized this one was a looser for them ...

About 30 heavenly days go by with no Asset Acceptance on my credit. During this time, I refi my auto loan from 14% to 6.99%, I turned a $500 secured card into a $1,000 unsecured, and I applied for an FHA mortgage. Well, this morning I received their official response to my CFPB complaint, which is not good. They say their reporting is accurate (ignoring many of the substantive issues I raised), they say they can and will continue to report, and they will notate the account as "disputed." I was pretty down. I thought I was out of the woods with these guys. Now, all my worst probs will be back. The good news is, even with their own (incorrect) DofFD, they can't report for more than 5 more months. But, as they are the most substantial derogatory, I don't want them to come back.

I sought out a top-notch consumer attorney within minutes of seeing their response & shot him a little inquiry. He called me as soon as I clicked "send." After we spoke, he said he thinks this is a case, but needs to see the documentation we discussed. This is an attorney whose track record had Midland so scared, they dropped a lawsuit when his firm's name came up as representing the defendant. Ha!

So, I figured, what the hell? AA is still not reporting at this point, just promising to (attorney said no suit could go forward until TL reapeared on my report). Maybe, could I, just nip this whole thing in the bud?? I found a collections email for AA & shot off an email saying their response to my CFPB complaint was unsatisfactory. I would disput their response directly through CFPB, addressing the facts there. My email was not intended to address specifics, but only to say that the maximum they can report per their own date is 5 months. I have no intention of paying them a penny. I do have the intention of following every avenue available to me to protect my rights and if their TL shows up on my report again with the same inaccurate information, I intend to take action. I name-dropped the attorney I am in consultation with & asked them to weigh the risk to the benefit at this point. No response needed, I would be in touch regarding the specific facts of the case.

Maybe I can get them to think twice about re-reporting ... We'll see. *sigh*

Starting Score: TU 490 on 11/2012
Current Score:6/16/15:EQ 714, EX 704, TU 702 (all from myFICO)
New Goal Score: 740+ for all three
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
growing123
Regular Contributor

Re: Asset Acceptance is coming back! :-(

Good luck, hopefully they don't reappear on your report.  Keep us posted!

Starting Scores - Mid 500s - 10/2013

EX 706 (FICO 9/15) | EQ 710 (FICO 9/15) | TU 716 (FICO 9/15)

Quicksilver $12.8K | Freedom $1.5k | Discover It $11.5k | VS $1.2k | AMEX BCE $10k | Fidelity AMEX $10k | US Cash+ $9k | Citi DC $6.6k
Message 2 of 6
lavencedora
Frequent Contributor

I'll definitely update, either way. It does sound like I may be able to sue if they do. BUT, even better would be for them to just stay away!

Message 3 of 6
KORN
New Contributor

I also recently got a collection letter from them.  They had been removed from my credit history several months ago.  I hope they don't reappear!!!  I will have to battle with them again lol

Barclay$1450/Cap1 QuickSilver1 $1300/BofA $1,000/ChaseAmazon $1,000/Amazon $2500/Old Navy $800/REDcard $800/Walmart $600/PayPal $1900/Game Stop $350-5/8/14 638..8/12/14 696..10/2/14 712
Message 4 of 6
guykara
Frequent Contributor

Any advice on how to get rid of them in the first place? Maybe I need to fire off GW every week or so...

Starting Scores (10/18/2013): EX: 603 | EQ: 572 | TU: 659
5/05/2014 EX: 628 | EQ: 627 | TU: 623
5/25/2014: EX: 628 | EQ: 635 | TU: 623
Current Scores: EX: 670 | EQ: 663 | TU: 681
Goal Scores: 680 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
lavencedora
Frequent Contributor

Korn--Wishing us both good luck!

Guykara--In my case, I believe they are reporting innaccuratey & I had old documentation with dates and amounts from OC. I am not sure how successful GWs or PFDs might be, but I've know AA can be a tough nut . Good luck!!!!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.