cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asset Acceptance trying to collect on account from Dec. 2000.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Asset Acceptance trying to collect on account from Dec. 2000.

I know the SOL regarding this account but can Asset or CBCS who is trying to collect place this account on my

Credit reports as a collection?  Do collection TL's have to follow the 7 year rule with regards to the underlying account?  How do the CRA's view this?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Asset Acceptance trying to collect on account from Dec. 2000.

DOFD is what CRTP is based on and that date is set by the OC and can never be changed, legally.

So, if DOFD with the OC is more than 7 1/2 years ago, this can't be reported on your report, legally.

They can attempt to collect forever.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this just letters from the collection agency to you trying to collect? If so, just toss them...they cannot legally do anything unless the account has not passed SOL.  If they are reporting on your credit report I'd dispute as being past CRPT.

I had a couple of CAs send me letters trying to collect on old debt a few years ago. Knowing the accounts were past the age of legally reporting, I just shredded the letters and never heard from them again. Do NOT call or otherwise respond to letters from these junk credit buyers.

Others here may disagree with me and advise you to send some sort of DV to the collector...the shredder worked for me.

Message 3 of 4
Cinnnamon
New Contributor

Jeff-

I had issues with these people too and had mine deleted due to way past SOL and also I made a complaint to my State's Secretary of State and Financial Institutions Division (FID)- they regulate collection agencies,  as they were not license/ registered( business filing), the collections agency didn't want to mess around with the state. So they stopped all collections and it seems to work. Usuall if they not registered a state can fine them money for violating state laws. If I were you I would check your state laws and also write a letter to the state about these people trying to collect on an account that's past the SOL date. I had help from budhibbs forum website in dealing with these junkbuyers.

Depending on your state laws the SOL (statute of limitations) do vary and also you can dispute with the Credit Bureau stating the account is obsolete ( account is past 7 years-so it not allowed to be reported),  you can private message me in I can tell you how I had numerous items delete of my credit report.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.