cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asset Acceptance vs. Law firm - who can accept offer?

tag
alte0071

Asset Acceptance vs. Law firm - who can accept offer?

Long-story short, I received a "summons" from a law firm representing AA. I say "summons" because it does not have a case number. They are "suing" me over a $6500 debt that is still well-within the SOL.

In an attempt to settle the debt, I am prepared to offer somewhere in the realm of $2000 to consider this debt "Paid in full." I called AA today and they said they cannot negotiate this account and that I'd have to call the law office. Called the law office and they said "I can submit an offer to AA and will get back to you in a few days."

The "summons" deadline is Wednesday (they gave me 20 days to answer). 

Am I being given the run around? Someone is obviously lying about who can accept an offer. Who usually accepts offers in this situation? 

Also, if anyone has contact info for AA, I would really appreciate it. I feel like I cannot get through to anyone there.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Asset Acceptance vs. Law firm - who can accept offer?

If AA owns the account but did not give that type of authorization to the attorney, then AA would be the one,

The attorney could just not want to deal with it also.

I would send it to both to cover your bases.

Message 2 of 4
gregcurryesq
Established Member

You should have been served with (1) a summons and (2) a complaint, with the basic claim/cause of action being breach of contract of the credit card agreement (does this concern a credit card?) It might be both on one page, which is typical of the high volume debt collectors where I live, on Long Island.

BTW, in many states, your time to answer depends on how you were served. If it was leave and mail service, your time to answer is often more than 20 days, and the summons should advise you of that. 

No, I don't think you're being given the run around. AA and the law firm want to get some money back on the account and move on to the next debtor. But your immediate need is serving an answer to the summons and complaint, or you'll be in default, which could result in judgment being entered against you.

Long Island, NY. **The views expressed by me on this site are my opinions only, are not intended to constitute legal advice, should not be relied on as legal advice, and are not intended to create any attorney-client relationship.**
Message 3 of 4
fast82lx

Been there done this.

AA is pretty hard to work with, and so are their attorneys. You have to send them a settlement offer by mail or fax (I would do both).

They are not in a hurry, nor will they even acknowledge your existence. Be prepared for a run-around!

Background:

They filed suit against me, and they case was dismissed because the AA attorney went MIA (no surprise).

When I went to make a settlement ~or~ a PFD offer  it took them 2 years to do something. FWIW, they will typically

settle for 30% of what you "owe them". 

I tell ya these guys must buy so much junk debt, they must be up to their ears..

Rebuilding stage:
2013: EQ 639, TU 629 EX 629 .. Lots of work ahead!
2014: Pay off CO's and maybe qaulify for a house (yeah right!)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.