Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asset acceptance help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Asset acceptance help

I have a account with asset acceptance that I am having a hard time trying to figure what to do with. The account was originally with Citi card. The original balance was around 2500.00. The last date of activity was 7/2007. My state has a 6 year sol so it will be up in July. Asset is currently reporting a balance of 8207.37. They are nuts if they think i will be paying that. What should I do. I am more than willing to pay the original amount now that I am able to if I can get it removed from my report. They keep sending me settlement offers for around 3800 but I have never spoken with someone from there. What should I do. I have never had any other credit problems and my fico score is 738. I am looking to buy a house and this is the only thing holding me back. Thanks in advance for the help.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Asset acceptance help

Offer them a settlement for the original amount owed and ask for them to delete.  Do it in writing.

Message 2 of 22
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The statutory definition of what a debt collector is authorized to attempt to collect is set forth in FDCPA 808(1):

"A debt collector may not use unfair or unconscienable means to collect or attempt to collect any debt.   Without limitating the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section:

(1) The collection of any amount (including any interestm fee, charge, or expense incidental to the principal obligation) unless such amount is expressly authorized by the agreement creating the debt or permitted by law"

Thus, a two-step process is set forth under the statute.

First, review your original account agreement with the creditor, and determine if it expressly authorizes any fees they are attempting to collect.

Second, if not specifically authorized, does your state have any statutory authorization for a debt collector to collect any amount not set forth in your account agreement.

If the answer to both is no, they are in violation of the FDCPA.

One of the reasons why the courts have held that a consumer is entitlted to an itemization of an asserted debt as part of adequate debt validation.

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know that this may be stupid but is there a way to get a copy of the original agreement. I can't find it anywhere. Also if they are in violation how do I got about fighting them on it. The account was a citi card if that helps. Thanks again in advance.
Message 4 of 22
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If you got it online you may not have an agreement unless they mailed you one.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

What should my next move be. Sorry as I am totally new to this and all the info on this site is overwhelming.
Message 6 of 22
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You could probably contact CIti and ask for a copy of the agreement.  You may even be able to find one online.  Also look up your state statutes pertaining to collection agenciies and applying interest.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will do that. Should a send asset acceptance a PDF or wait until the sol passes
Message 8 of 22
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 9 of 22
Mish0817
Regular Contributor

Send them a dv ask for them to prove balance owed, more than likely they can't. They tacked on 9000 in interest on an account they said I owed and they had ZERO paperwork proving I owed anything. I had to end up filing bbb complaint but they deleted ....

Eq 675
TU 681
Ex your guess is as goodas mine!

Nfcu Cash Rewards 15000, Nfcu nRewards Mc 15000, Walmart 600, Target 400, VS 650,Capital one 3750, Us Bank 300, Discover 4500,Citi DP 1500, Chase Freedom 2000. And I'm done...... no more cards just going to tend my garden
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.