Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assistance with potential medical judgement

tag
ReachingMyGoals
Valued Member

Assistance with potential medical judgement

I received a summons for medical bill.  Not sure how to proceed.  Just know either have to make an arrangement by the 6th or show in court.  The bill is not that large, but for me it's huge.  What are my options. I definitely don't want to go to court for it to be a judgement.

Please advise...expert advice welcomed.  

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 580
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
mamatried
Contributor

Re: Assistance with potential medical judgement

Plan to appear or you're guaranteed a full judgement against you. 

Can you afford to make payment arrangements or settle? Anyway you can borrow or scrap something together to pay it beforehand?

Judgements stay on for 7-10 years depending on your state so if there's anyway to avoid it, you have to try. If you get one against you, you'll only be able to get the extreme subprimes (eg. credit one, first premier, secured) until you get it cleaned up. 

Save absolutely any documentation on this if you do get it paid up as it could come back from the dead down the road. 

12/23/14: 536 | 4/4/18 714
MAJORS: Chase Slate, Amex Blue, Citi American Airlines, Gap Visa, Cap1 QS, Southwest, AQHA BOA, Discover, Chase Freedom, Citi Best Buy, Cap1 Platinum, BuyPower GM, US Bank H-D STORE Macy's, VS, Home Depot, Old Navy, Kohl's, J Crew, Venus, Care Credit, PayPal Credit LOANS Ally Auto, Prosper, American Financial Resources Home Mortgage (USDA Rural Development)
Message 2 of 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Assistance with potential medical judgement

I would come to terms to make payments to avoid the judgment. If it gets to court its most likely going to appear on your CR and add to the problem, a paid judgment remains on file for 7 years from time its granted unless its vacated.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.