Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At the midpoint

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

At the midpoint

I've been dodging creditors for years.  Most of my credit problems started in mid 2013.  My understanding is that negatives stay on my credit for 7 years.  At this point, is it better to just ride it out or try to start paying down some of these accounts?  We're talking some pretty significant credit cards (roughly $40,000) and a large amount of student loans.  I don't think the student loans fall off though.  I think they are federal.  

I think trying to get my federal student loans back on track is the best bet and maybe wait the credit cards out.  Or should I try to settle the smallest credit cards/student loans now and work my way up to the biggie ($115K in student loan) the better bet?

TIA

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

Re: At the midpoint

Definitely try to rehab the SL, Go to NSLDS and see where you stand and I consolidated 2 years ago all online , there is a post on here or CB , I can't remember that walked me thru it
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely start by getting the SL's back on track.  What banks service the CC's?  Income?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would definitely work on the student loans.

With credit card balances that high there is a chance you could get sued before the SOL is out. If you are able to I’d work on them as well maybe doing some PFD’s and settlements on down the road. 

Message 4 of 6
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

What is the SOL for your state?
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been dodging creditors for years.  Most of my credit problems started in mid 2013.  My understanding is that negatives stay on my credit for 7 years.  At this point, is it better to just ride it out or try to start paying down some of these accounts?  We're talking some pretty significant credit cards (roughly $40,000) and a large amount of student loans.  I don't think the student loans fall off though.  I think they are federal.  

I think trying to get my federal student loans back on track is the best bet and maybe wait the credit cards out.  Or should I try to settle the smallest credit cards/student loans now and work my way up to the biggie ($115K in student loan) the better bet?

TIA

Welcome to the forums.

If the debts are yours and you created them, then pay them back. If you get judgements you WILL pay them one way or the other and sooner or later.

You got the goods, you owe it, pay it.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.