cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Att collection in between agencies. Who to pay?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Att collection in between agencies. Who to pay?

The last negative mark on my credit was att. They switch collection agencies about every 6 months. Well they just switched so the collection came off my credit report. They moved the debt over to southwesterncredit so I have a small window to pay before southwestern reports. My only concern is I don't want to pay it and then have them report as paid. So if I pay before they report will they end up reporting on my credit that it's paid or will that be the end of it? Should I pay att or southwestern? If I pay southwestern should I call and pay or just pay online?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Att collection in between agencies. Who to pay?

If you pay before they report, it is unlikely that they will report once the collection is paid/closed/$0 balance.

However, there is no specific prohibition against their reporting.

If you wish to be sure, you can first make them a pay for not reporting offer, and if they agree and you then pay, you have a binding contract.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So would you recommend I pay the OC or the CA?
Message 3 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the goal is to prevent reporting of a collection, then make the pay for not reporting offer to the debt collector.

If you simply pay the OC without their first having terminated the assigned collection authority, the debt collector could still report.

Message 4 of 9
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

I had the same thing happen.   Call AT&T directly and pay them directly.   Do not involve the collection agent.     Do not do a pay for delete -- they won't agree to that anyway.   We have been down this road many times with ATT here on myFICO.   

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It wouldn't actually be a pfd. I received a collection letter but nothing has been reported to any of the bureaus. I just want to pay it before anything is reported. Would you still recommend paying att directly?
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also another thing that worried me is the collection letter is offering a settlement amount of 70 percent of the original debt. Would that be a cause for concern as far as the debt not getting reported as paid after I pay it?
Message 7 of 9
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Yes, pay AT&T in full directly.  They are not interested in punishing you with bad credit.  They just want their money.   

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
It wouldn't actually be a pfd. I received a collection letter but nothing has been reported to any of the bureaus. I just want to pay it before anything is reported. Would you still recommend paying att directly?

That is what I did with DirecTV... It works for ATT as well.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.