cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempting to clean up hubbys report...can I do this?

tag
jzsnow
Frequent Contributor

Attempting to clean up hubbys report...can I do this?

I am hoping to do some serious clean-up of my husbands credit. I'm aiming for PFD's. If I initiate this, with his signature of course on all letters, will they deal with me if they have to call or whatnot? I keep reading where people offered a PFD and the creditor wanted to call and talk to them. My husband doesn't have time to deal with the phone coorespondance. 

Think they'll deal with me even though it is his debt alone?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Attempting to clean up hubbys report...can I do this?

@jzsnow wrote:

I am hoping to do some serious clean-up of my husbands credit. I'm aiming for PFD's. If I initiate this, with his signature of course on all letters, will they deal with me if they have to call or whatnot? I keep reading where people offered a PFD and the creditor wanted to call and talk to them. My husband doesn't have time to deal with the phone coorespondance. 

Think they'll deal with me even though it is his debt alone?

Two different realities, legally and actually, I think.  So, legally they aren't supposed to talk to you about it unless it's yours.  Actually, they will deal with you on the phone if they are interested in collecting.

I negotiated several PFD's for my Wife.  Typically I do it via mail or email using her name.  If I have to call, I give them the account number and last 4, and when they ask to confirm the name on the account I give them hers.  Usually we just carry on after that, but sometimes they ask "are you ____?".  I say, "No, I'm her Husband."  I guess they could at that point say she had to call, but they've always just carried on like normal.  With some open accounts like cell phone, I had to have her get on the line and say I was allowed to speak on her behalf, but no collector has ever asked for that.

If I were you I'd get as far as possible on your own.  If your DH is ok with you working on his behalf, go right ahead.  All the collectors want is the money.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.