Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attorney says judgment can't be vacated

tag
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: Attorney says judgment can't be vacated

@rkb84 wrote:

That's nice, I asked nicely for the same and got this response, same thing satisfield judgment I wanted to try and get vacated-

"Again, I cannot give you legal advice, and you should seek independent counsel if you have questions.  However, a judgment was entered, and you satisfied that judgment.  Such has been satisfied with court, but it was still a judgment of the court.   A satisfied judgment is what there is, and that is what your credit report reflects.  Also, the court lost jurisdiction over the judgment ten days after it was entered and such was not appealed.  Therefore, the Court has no legal authority to vacate the judgment. Again, if you do not understand any of this, you need to consult with an attorney."

I am guessing that means screw you, it is staying on your credit report, and if you're too dumb to understand this go get a lawyer..

No, that is exactly correct. A judgement is not normally removed because it is paid. However, court procedures vary by state, and even by the individual rules of the court. General advice about vacating a judgement due to payment will always be a problem. You need to talk to the clerk of the court.

Message 21 of 28
windupbird
New Contributor

I am going through something similar, I just want to see if I can get a paid judgment vacated.....still have to speak to someone at the courthouse.  The clerk should be able to help.  I completely empathize with your situation.

Message 22 of 28
enning
Established Member

As others have stated each court is different as to the grounds to vacate and also the timeframe with which to file. As for me I was unable to get anywhere through a motion to vacate but I was successful in disputing with the CRA's directly through a few methods, although I'm not certain what in particular got the judgments off my credit reports. Either way I'm happy save for one judgment still sticking on my EX report.

Starting Score: 561(EQ) 504(TU) 550(EX) Lender Pull 6/21/12
Current Score: 704(TU) 3/10/2019
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 28
Sonic98
New Contributor

I got one that drops off in about 4 months, but I will see what I can do about the other two. I really would like to get them and the one medical collection I have off there.

Message 24 of 28
sarahcatherinemay
Regular Contributor

Were you ever able to get the judgment vacated? I just found out about a 6 year old default judgment through Pressler and Pressler for the smallest amount, it's pathetic that it got to this point. I moved across country and was never properly served.

I don't understand how the attorney can tell you that the court has no jurisdiction. That makes no sense at all. Isn't the court the ONLY thing that can vacate the judgment?

I just got all the information I needed for vacating this judgment and I am just hoping that P&P doesn't try to pull anything shady like that.

They have been pretty nice so far (of course because I was giving them money I'm sure) but weren't willing to help me with vacating the judgment at all. Which is fine. I will  do it myself. Just wondering what the status of yours is since it's with the same attorneys.

Starting Score: 525
Current Score: EQ Fico 766 | TU Fico 715 | EX Fico 753
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 25 of 28
enning
Established Member

I was never able to get the judgments vacated through Pressler and Pressler or the courts. Luckily, I was able to dispute them off through the CRA's save for one on EXP. I got a decent bump in my scores but its hard to tell if it was from those dropping off or from other factors.

Starting Score: 561(EQ) 504(TU) 550(EX) Lender Pull 6/21/12
Current Score: 704(TU) 3/10/2019
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 26 of 28
mis411

I recently learned from a judgment myself. I am glad that it is now paid off (as of 12/2012). Then today, I received a golden letter that the CA attorney filed to vacate the judgment (without me asking) and the judge already dismissed the case. I AM SO HAPPY. I immediately reported the change to the 3 CRAs, I sure do hope I can see a bump. 

Starting Score: EQ 604 TU ? 01/2013
Current Score: EQ 611 TU 621 04/2013
Goal Score: 700 12/31/13

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge621
Message 27 of 28
sarahcatherinemay
Regular Contributor

Are you in NJ? If so, which county was this judgment filed? Can I ask what the circumstances of the judgment were? I just filed a motion to vacate on the grounds that I was never served (I wasn't) so I just was wondering what your reason for the motion was, if any Smiley Happy

Happy to hear that you got it removed at least!

Starting Score: 525
Current Score: EQ Fico 766 | TU Fico 715 | EX Fico 753
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.