Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User - Pitfalls?

tag
magundus
Established Member

Authorized User - Pitfalls?

I have recently been added to 2 credit card accounts as an AU in an attempt to boost my credit score and add a postive payment history. I am considering adding a few more accounts(with little to no balances with higher limits) but wanted some insight as to whether or not this could have any potential pitfalls. I guess my primary concern would be that I've added so many accounts that new lenders would be hesitant to extend lines of credit that I will need in the future. I do realize that I could also be removed as an AU at any time. Is there a general consensus on how many accounts should be added to my report to give it the highest possible boost? I curently have 3 open credit accounts totaling $1300 AC with under 10% utilized.

Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 673
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Authorized User - Pitfalls?

I am not sure if there is a limit of AU accounts you can have.  Some lenders do not like to use those accounts, they want to see your real score.

When you take an AU account you take everything about it.  The good thing is if it goes south you can easily have it removed.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.