Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User Removal-- Account Owner is Deceased

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized User Removal-- Account Owner is Deceased

This is my first post, and I would appreciate any and all input.

My mother died suddenly last year.  I am the authorized holder on two of her credit cards.  I reported her death within a month of her passing.  Each of my credit reports is showing different things (some say credit card closed by credit grantor, another shows one of the accounts as open).  Transunion is showing the Sams Club account as open with a 228.00 monthly minimum payment!  I am trying to purchase a house, so this is causing a tremendous problemsfor me.  There are also a couple of late payments showing on this card, as well as the other card.  

I contacted Sam's, but they said there is nothing they can do at this point as the account has already been sent to collections (and I wasn't about the call the collection agency).  What is my best course of action at this point? Should I contact each credit bureau directly, explain the situation, and ask that they remove this from my credit report as well as all negative information associated with it?  Of course I can provide the death certificate if needed.  Should I contact them by phone, or dispute another way?

Also, I never signed anything to be included as an authorized user, if that information helps.  Thank you for your help.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Authorized User Removal-- Account Owner is Deceased

I assume that the creditor(s) were notified of the death of the card-holder by the administrator of her estate, and thus have closed the account.

I would contact the creditors and request that they follow-up by removing you as an AU and ceasing any updated reporting to your credit file.

Message 2 of 3
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Authorized User Removal-- Account Owner is Deceased

Just dispute them with the CRA's.   Tell them you are an authorized user and not responsible for the account(s).   They will delete them.   Promise. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.