cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User Woes

tag
Mellybelly323

Authorized User Woes

I'm hoping to get some advice as to what to do about disputing an Authorized User account on our credit score.

We are attempting to purchase a home and we want to do so via Fannie Mae's Homepath program. It requires a FICO of 680+.

My husband is/was an Authorized User on a Discover card of his mothers'. She had severe credit trouble that she kept largely to herself. We discovered how severe when we pulled our credit report in December of 2012. The Discover card he'd been an authorized user on had completely tanked his credit with TransUnion and Equifax. Experian, for whatever reason, never reported it - so that score is in the high 7's. TransUnion is now high 5's and Equifax in the low 6's.

We tried calling Discover to ask them to remove my husband as an Authorized User. But, by that time, they had already closed and charged off the account. Because of that, Discover could not remove him as an Authroized Buyer. When we asked what other avenue we could take, we were told there was nothing we could do. Customer service wasn't very helpful, unfortunately. Rather disheartening, because we have 2 credit cards with Discover, as well as a sizeable personal loan. Clearly, we're in good enough standing with them to keep giving us credit - but they refused to help us get this error removed from our credit, either through action or direction.

Anyhow, any advice on how to dispute this and what proof I can furnish the credit bureaus to get this Authorized User account removed asap would be greatly appreciated. We've already lost out on 1 house because of this mess - I don't want to lose out on another. We have a new baby - it's time to move her into her forever home. Help?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pr0blumz
New Contributor

Re: Authorized User Woes

Oh, that's easy. Just dispute with the CRA's as "not mine" or "not my responsibility."

Message 2 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Dispute with the CRAs it is reporting to by US Mail CMRR

Dear CRA,

This Discover account XXXXX is not my responsibility I was only an authorized user on it and as you know authorized users are not responsible for payment in any way shape or form. I expect it to be deleted immediately and I request an updated copy of my credit report be mailed to me upon completion of this action...

Thank You,

Message 3 of 4
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

Just dispute it... "account not mine."

When I did my CR verification/cleanup right after my discharge last year there was an AU account on there from HSBC (weren't they bought out by someone?) that belong to my ex..  reporting a maxxed out $5k balance.

I disputed it and it was gone a few days later.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.