cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User on Father's account - Will it help?

tag
cflowers0115
Regular Contributor

Authorized User on Father's account - Will it help?

Hey all,

So my Dad recently offered to add me as a Authorized User to his Citi card. He has a zero balance and $65,000 credit limit w/ little or no use (1k balances tops at any time). He has had this account in 100% perfect standing for the past 16 years. The question is, how will this affect my score?

I have some baddies that I'm working on getting off. Scores in sig. My AAoA is only 1 year 9 months. My cards are:

CapitalOne Quicksilver: $1,250 CL $610 available

CapitalOne Quicksilver: $1,250 CL $758 available

BestBuy MC: $300 CL $300 availble

Merrick Bank CC: $700 CL $300 available

Victoria's Secret: $500 CL $498 available (new)

Express CC: $250 CL $250 available (new)

*new = within last month and not included in my AAoA thusfar

Obviously this would increase my AAoA and UTI situation tremendously if it counts towards my score, I've seen mixed statements on how this will help on here and was hoping by giving my specific situation I could get some clarity. Will this help me substantially? I'm planning on paying off all CC balances (roughly $1,400) mid February so I will have no debt besides 3 old medical collections (PFD'd currently out) and 2 midland accounts that I have disputed right now due to incorrect information.

Would it make sense to add me to this account? It makes no sense (I'll never use the account) if it doesn't improve my situation.

Starting Scores: 8/13/18: EQ: 556 TU: 521 EX: 544
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Authorized User on Father's account - Will it help?

Having the history of another in your CR is a two-edged sword.

In your situation, it would most likely improve your credit score.

However, the flip side of having the history of another reported to your CR and thus included in your scoring is that it instanly prevents any creditor who might wish to see your score based only on your own history fro doing so.

FICO scores, except for the oddity of the AU process, is used to evaluate indiidual consumer risk based on only their prior credit history.

If you app for credit wherein the creditor will most likely rely primarily or exclusively on your score, then it would help.

However, if you app for credit with a higher principal, the creditor is more likely to do a manual review of your CR, and might question the value of your score it it shows that it is based in part on credit history that is not your own.

What type of credit are you planning to pursue after the addition of the AU?

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.