cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User on Past Due Consumer Credit Card - Best Course of Action?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized User on Past Due Consumer Credit Card - Best Course of Action?

I was an authorized user on my Mother's Home Depot card (she did this without asking me first). The account is showing up in my credit reports with a status of Bad debt/collection. What is my best course of action? I'm willing to pay the account off but I don't have any information regarding the account itself. Do I have a better option than simply appending a consumer statement to my credit report? What are my rights/responsibilities regarding the account as an authorized user?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized User on Past Due Consumer Credit Card - Best Course of Action?

There's a difference between being an authorized user and a joint owner.

If you're a joint owner, then you are responsible for the debt.

If you're an AU, then you can ask to be removed from the account, and it should no longer report.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

That was quick!  Thank you.  Any idea on how long it should take to stop showing up on the report?

Message 3 of 5
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

A few days after the next billing cycle if its already past this month. Provided its not a joint but an AU a/c which is what it seems like it is since you are not aware of the card. Youve got to check on that.

ETA:  The next billing OR reporting cycle depending upon the bank. It might also take two cycles.

Message Edited by nothingman02 on 04-14-2009 04:41 PM
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it isn't removed after about 30 days, then dispute as "no longer AU-- please remove".
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.