Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User

tag
wednesdayaddamsd
Regular Contributor

Authorized User

Has anyone had any experience with adding an authorized user? My sister is going to add me to her $20K capital one credit card. Do they report authorized users? If yes, do they report the credit limit for authorized users?

Has anyone been added as an authorized user after chapter 7, and do they remember how much it impacted the three burueas and their credit scores? Thanks!

One more question, is having more credit cards better than just having one?

Thank you!

Amex PRG. Amex Blue. Amex ED. Cap 1 Quiksilver. Saks Fifth Avenue. Neiman Marcus. Grandin Road. Target Red Card. Barclay Rewards. Home Depot. Paypal BML. Affirm. Victoria's Secret. Care Credit. Lumber Liquidators. Art Van. Evine. Firestone. Discount Tire. Discover IT.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Authorized User

Being an AU will only help you if the card is older than your oldest account, has a low balance and is pristine with no lates.

Not all CCC add AUs to your CR.  You would need to call and ask them first.

The more revolving you have the better it will help if you keep the utilization down.  That counts for 30% of your score.

Message 2 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@wednesdayaddamsd wrote:

Has anyone had any experience with adding an authorized user? My sister is going to add me to her $20K capital one credit card. Do they report authorized users? If yes, do they report the credit limit for authorized users?  In my experience Cap 1 reports both AU's and CL's.

Has anyone been added as an authorized user after chapter 7, and do they remember how much it impacted the three burueas and their credit scores? Thanks!

Thank you!

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@wednesdayaddamsd wrote:

Has anyone had any experience with adding an authorized user? My score shot up over 80 points when added to a Bank of America Visa with $10,800 limit/200 balance/8 years old.  My sister is going to add me to her $20K capital one credit card. Do they report authorized users? If yes, do they report the credit limit for authorized users? 

Thank you!

Message 4 of 8
wednesdayaddamsd
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the responses, everyone. 80 points is a SWEET increase! Hope I could even get half that. Smiley Surprised)

Amex PRG. Amex Blue. Amex ED. Cap 1 Quiksilver. Saks Fifth Avenue. Neiman Marcus. Grandin Road. Target Red Card. Barclay Rewards. Home Depot. Paypal BML. Affirm. Victoria's Secret. Care Credit. Lumber Liquidators. Art Van. Evine. Firestone. Discount Tire. Discover IT.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was put on as an authorized user on 2 cards during an emergency situation. I never made any charges. However, I have had no contact with this person in over 2 years and she is destroying my FICO. I have requested she have me removed, write to the company...I called the company and they want a letter from her. Needless to say, she has not had me removed. I have disputed the cards on my CR (being investigated), and it dropped by 5 points again today because she added another $33 to her account. Whatever you decide, proceed with caution as an AU.

Message 6 of 8
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was put on as an authorized user on 2 cards during an emergency situation. I never made any charges. However, I have had no contact with this person in over 2 years and she is destroying my FICO. I have requested she have me removed, write to the company...I called the company and they want a letter from her. Needless to say, she has not had me removed. I have disputed the cards on my CR (being investigated), and it dropped by 5 points again today because she added another $33 to her account. Whatever you decide, proceed with caution as an AU.

is this the first time you dispute them?  usually they come right off.  key word there is "usually", unfortunately Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would suggest playing hardball with the account holder.

I would send them a certified letter, requesting that they immediately contact their credtitor, and delete you as an authorized user under their account.

Inform them that their actions on their account have led to derogattory reportings to your credit file for which you have no  responsibility.

If you want to really play hard ball, remind them that you have no legal responsibility as an authorized user to repay any debt they may accrue, and that their avoidance of deleteion of your AU status is causing real harm to your credit report and score.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.