Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user cards?

tag
meeklo062704
New Contributor

Authorized user cards?

I received my capital one secured card last week, and my wife accepted 2 offers from Merrick for a $500 cl, and a $300 from Credit One. We're both rebuilding credit, so would it help our scores to add each other as authorized users on each other's cards? We're looking to buy a car soon, so I'm trying to pretty up our scores and accounts as much as possible as fast as possible, I'm just not sure if it would put too much of a hit on AAoA. I have a medical judgement that I'm paying on, and our car that we just finished paying off with 37 perfect payments.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
dashpt
Frequent Contributor

Re: Authorized user cards?

@meeklo062704 wrote:

I received my capital one secured card last week, and my wife accepted 2 offers from Merrick for a $500 cl, and a $300 from Credit One. We're both rebuilding credit, so would it help our scores to add each other as authorized users on each other's cards? We're looking to buy a car soon, so I'm trying to pretty up our scores and accounts as much as possible as fast as possible, I'm just not sure if it would put too much of a hit on AAoA. I have a medical judgement that I'm paying on, and our car that we just finished paying off with 37 perfect payments.

My husband just started to build credit since his file was thin, i added him to my secured cap one card and two others walmart and victoria secrets and to my surprise I just checked his score and its a whopping 722 it shows he has 4 accounts in good standing, the three that he his a authorized user on and 1 that i got opened for him through cap one.....I planning on being a AU on his cap one card, that way we'll be AUs on all our cards.  hope this helps.

Cap one secured=200 closed
Cap One unsecured10,000
Wellsfargo1500
Walmart5000
Victoria'ssecrets1850, citicard 6500TU=735,Ex=723,Eq=734
Message 2 of 3
meeklo062704
New Contributor

Re: Authorized user cards?

Would the hit on AAoA be worth it? Right now it's at 3 years 1 month. So, unless my math is incorrect which is possible, it would go down to 10 months with 3 month old credit cards. We're looking to buy a car in the next few months, so I'm looking to pretty up my reports and scores as much as possible before then. My fako is just over 600 without my new card being reported yet, and my car not showing as paid off, so it should change soon. I was thinking about going for an amazon store card, and/or a consumer installment loan. I currently have 4 hard inquiries, and am looking to spend additional inquiries wisely.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.